egg shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
i know i already kinda asked this in another thred but when i feed my tort a hard boiled egg is it safe to feed it shell and all. some people have already said a little on this matter but most of it i already knew, like that it would be good for calcium but that they dont do it. i just want to know if it is a good idea or not? please let me know thanks

i know i already kinda asked this in another thred but when i feed my tort a hard boiled egg is it safe to feed it shell and all. some people have already said a little on this matter but most of it i already knew, like that it would be good for calcium but that they dont do it. i just want to know if it is a good idea or not? please let me know thanks

sorry guys i didnt some of the other posts. still dont know if im gunna do it though

LindaF

5 Year Member
I would think egg shells would be too sharp and hard on the digestive track unless they were all ground up.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Some people do. I would grind it up into a fine powder with a mortar and pestle, though.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I've done it. I put the shells in the blender with some water. I typically throw a pile on the ground, and the rain washes most of it away. I figure it increases the calcium I the soil which grows the plants they eat. Not convinced it does any good, but its better than sending the shells to the landfill.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It is not a big deal for bigger torts, but it is full of heavy metals and grits, so you probably don't want to do it very often. It really is not that different from cuttlebone.

Some good sources suggest just boiling the egg and breaking it open- but not removing the shell- so they can bite it off in little bits.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have heard of some folks crushing egg shells up fine and giving it to tortoises, We have never done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.