Egg tooth on baby Sulcata

zovick

10 Year Member!
Our baby Sulcata is about 2.5 months old and still has her egg tooth. Is this normal at her age?
It should be disappearing anytime now. Some babies lose them sooner than others. I see nothing in your photo to cause any concern.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Our baby Sulcata is about 2.5 months old and still has her egg tooth. Is this normal at her age?
How do you know the age?
How long have you had the tortoise?

They usually lose the egg tooth by around 6 weeks. Many sellers either lie about the age, or in the case of a re-seller, they might not know the age, so they make up a number that sounds good to a potential buyer.

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
How do you know the age?
How long have you had the tortoise?

They usually lose the egg tooth by around 6 weeks. Many sellers either lie about the age, or in the case of a re-seller, they might not know the age, so they make up a number that sounds good to a potential buyer.

I just got her on 8/30. She is 2.5” long and weighs 55grams

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just got her on 8/30. She is 2.5” long and weighs 55grams
Do you believe the seller about the age? I can't say its impossible that it could still be showing a prominent egg tooth at 10 weeks, but none of mine still had one after 4-6 weeks. Most of my babies would hit 55 grams within 4 weeks of hatching too.

I'm not calling anyone a liar here, just sharing what my typical experience was.

Its very good news that the baby is 55 grams. 50 is the usual stall point for sulcatas that were not started correctly. If yours is 55 and steadily gaining, then you've got a healthy one that should survive.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Do you believe the seller about the age? I can't say its impossible that it could still be showing a prominent egg tooth at 10 weeks, but none of mine still had one after 4-6 weeks. Most of my babies would hit 55 grams within 4 weeks of hatching too.

I'm not calling anyone a liar here, just sharing what my typical experience was.

Its very good news that the baby is 55 grams. 50 is the usual stall point for sulcatas that were not started correctly. If yours is 55 and steadily gaining, then you've got a healthy one that should survive.
They have only had the tortoise three days now. It could possibly be a good bit younger than the seller indicated to them unless he/she told them a supposed hatch date.

Maybe a photo of the plastron showing the umbilical scar area would be helpful in determining the most likely actual age of the tortoise.

Tinytortmama

North Carolina
They have only had the tortoise three days now. It could possibly be a good bit younger than the seller indicated to them unless he/she told them a supposed hatch date.

Maybe a photo of the plastron showing the umbilical scar area would be helpful in determining the most likely actual age of the tortoise.

Here is the plastron photo.

Attachments

• IMG_4928.jpeg
    IMG_4928.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4