Eggs?

tylerfitz420

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Greenbush, NY
I have been breeding Russian Tortoises for 4 years and have been increasing the number of successful Hatchlings each year. I only had 2 females so 5 Hatchlings last year was great for me. It's obviously a hobby not a money maker but I love it!
This year my girls didn't start laying till June and I have a total of 9 eggs. So far only 1 is fertile.
I obtained a pair of leopard tortoises.
She laid 6 eggs and they don't look fertile either.
Nothing has changed as far as their care, enclosures, calcium intake etc
I did read that a cold spring can produce infertile eggs? Any ideas?
I'm in NY, the Russian torts are outside 24/7 till it drops below 55.
The leopards are in every night.
I'd appreciate any help.
Debbie

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
How old are the females? It's not unusual for females to have a season or two of a lower percentage of fertility. Changes of any nature can affect the percentages. Temperatures, changes in the enclosure, relocating or lots of other things can skew the outcomes. If the females are young they will be far less reliable in number of eggs produced and overall fertility than the older females.

ethan508

Northern Utah
Could it be your male? Or the timing of the male's exposure to the females? Cooler weather means they are spending more time hunkered down have less time and energy for getting down to business. I borrowed a neighbor's male tortoise this spring for a couple weeks. The first week was cool/rainy so I'm not sure the bull even introduced himself to my girls until week 2. My girls (and the male I borrowed) are still a little young, but I got 2 eggs yesterday. Hoping for the best.

Just noticed this post is a bit old, how have your breeding efforts gone this season?