EGGS!

jlee_07_

Location (City and/or State)
california
Hello! First post here, my russian tortoise layed 4 eggs today, but i didnt have an incubator so until the one i bought arrives, i have them in a ventilated shoe box in some wheat bran and some damp sphagnum moss (for humidity). Room temp fluctuates around 70. Are these conditions fine to keep them good for like 4 days?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! First post here, my russian tortoise layed 4 eggs today, but i didnt have an incubator so until the one i bought arrives, i have them in a ventilated shoe box in some wheat bran and some damp sphagnum moss (for humidity). Room temp fluctuates around 70. Are these conditions fine to keep them good for like 4 days?
Get them out of the dampness right away. Like right now. That will kill your eggs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russian eggs need to be on dry media, but in humid air. The sphagnum moss is fine, but get rid of the bran. Best to use vermiculite. NEVER use perlite.

Room temp for a few days won't hurt them. It would have been best to leave them in the ground.

Where in CA are you? Why is your Russian laying eggs when it should still be in brumation? This is unusual, so I have so many questions! :)

Here is more info:

jlee_07_

california
Russian eggs need to be on dry media, but in humid air. The sphagnum moss is fine, but get rid of the bran. Best to use vermiculite. NEVER use perlite.

Room temp for a few days won't hurt them. It would have been best to leave them in the ground.

Where in CA are you? Why is your Russian laying eggs when it should still be in brumation? This is unusual, so I have so many questions! :)

Here is more info:
Thanks for replying on such short notice! Bran is gone👍 Would it be fine to leave them kinda encased in tissue paper? I don’t think i have vermiculite on hand at the moment. I’m southern california, near LA. I agree that it is a hit strange; my tortoise has layed eggs in the past but never quite during this time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for replying on such short notice! Bran is gone👍 Would it be fine to leave them kinda encased in tissue paper? I don’t think i have vermiculite on hand at the moment. I’m southern california, near LA. I agree that it is a hit strange; my tortoise has layed eggs in the past but never quite during this time.
I get my vermiculite in 2.0 cubic foot bags from Home Depot. You can probably find it at any garden center.

The tissue paper, or poorer towels should work, but do keep the egg container inside of another humid container. Russian eggs need to remain relatively dry, but they still need high humidity. Most people use dry media, but put lots of open water tubs inside the incubator to add humidity.

I hope you get them to hatch!

jlee_07_

california
I get my vermiculite in 2.0 cubic foot bags from Home Depot. You can probably find it at any garden center.

The tissue paper, or poorer towels should work, but do keep the egg container inside of another humid container. Russian eggs need to remain relatively dry, but they still need high humidity. Most people use dry media, but put lots of open water tubs inside the incubator to add humidity.

I hope you get them to hatch!
I appreciate the help! Will hopefully come back with positive updates