Sulcata eggs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well went out to dig up the eggs with all intention of destroying them.... And wife and daughter talked me out of it... So in total there were 24 eggs.. 8 were broken and one was cracked... So I gathered up what looked viable and placed them in a sweater box with some topsoil ,sand and Damp vermiculite... And put them in Tony's enclosure...The temp in that side of the room fluctuates between 85 and 90*f... It's not a incubator... But it's a better chance than being outside in 30f temps..

Any thing else I can do to give them a chance??

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah for your wife and daughter....

Can't help with incubating but I agree they now have a better chance than outside..

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WOW, that was quick! didnt you just get that gravid female or did i read an old thread with a new post?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
WOW, that was quick! didnt you just get that gravid female or did i read an old thread with a new post?

No your right..I just got her.. As I was loading her up the PO told me he thought she might be gravid...since she's been digging?

He was correct..

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Well Grats on the eggs then.... i guess. so what are your tentative plans for 15 new baby Sulcatas?

:cool:If your in Texas I could be persuaded to liberate a hatchling for and nice comfy home to an experianced owner....:rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Might be a good idea to lightly cover them. Keep them a bit moist, but not wet. Try to not disturb them. Does the temp drop in Tony's room at night? I have hatched box turtle eggs that I put up on a shelf in a bedroom closet. Its doable.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Yvonne the temps drop a bit at nite but never below 80 in that side of the enclosure...

Zamric... I intend to give them away with preference to members here...Just remind me when they hatch that you wanted one....the only issue would be is if I have to ship ...The adopter would have to pay for that..

emysemys said:
Might be a good idea to lightly cover them. Keep them a bit moist, but not wet. Try to not disturb them. Does the temp drop in Tony's room at night? I have hatched box turtle eggs that I put up on a shelf in a bedroom closet. Its doable.

Cover them?? With what?? I have a cover on the sweater box to keep humidity in..

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I Would Gladly pay for the shipping! and the chance to raise my own hatchling! After seeing Guptas new enclosure, I gotta building ITCH!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hey, if one comes out with a funny scute pattern, I would love it!

Might help if you could take a picture of how you currently have them sitting.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Zamric. ..Jacqui..

If you guys can send me an email..with your interest so I don't lose track of who wants one...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
If you have plenty of hatchlings Hector, I would be willing to take in one or two..:p:p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hector...uh I mean Pops...lol...make sure to not move or disturb the eggs as this can cause all kinds of problems for the little developing one inside....

I wish you lots of luck and healthy babies :D and talk about a crash course in babies...hahaha

How is the new Mom doing adjusting..with all the excitement she had and all? :D

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Thats so cool that it just sort of happened. Its my plan to have at least three little sullys by the time I'm out of grad school (don't want Levi to get too used to being a spoiled only child ;)) and I'm sure when the time comes I'll incubate at least once, I'm too much of a biology nerd not too, but I think I agree with you on destroying most of the eggs, or at least leaving them be, and leaving the real breeding to experts (I think I'm way too much of a nervous nelly to trust strangers with my babies anyway, i even only give my fish babies to friends :D)

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Hector...uh I mean Pops...lol...make sure to not move or disturb the eggs as this can cause all kinds of problems for the little developing one inside....

I wish you lots of luck and healthy babies :D and talk about a crash course in babies...hahaha

How is the new Mom doing adjusting..with all the excitement she had and all? :D

Angela...Mom is great... I weighed her today.. 73lbs... She is very skittish as soon as enter the room she stops what she's doing and looks at me..I dropped a head of romain in front of her and she literally turned and ran to the other side of the enclosure... (I'm still amazed at how quick they move)

On a plus she put on the feed bag today... 5 lg cactus pads, 2 lg zucchinis, 5 very big heads of romaine and a lot of Mazuri ....I figure I would give her all she can eat for the next we days....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would supplement her calcium for awhile.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I would supplement her calcium for awhile.

DMMJ ..I sprinkled some minerall on every head of romaine...Also isn't the cactus pads good for calcium??

Status
Not open for further replies.