Incubation question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well as some remember Tina laid eggs last year.. I dug them up and placed them in the incubator.. It's been over 136 days now... I originally started with 14-15 eggs.. I don't remember exactly.. I have 8 left that still look viable... Wondering if they should have hatched by now... I have been keeping them at 89*F and humidity at 78%..

Thoughts ...

Thanks in advance

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Have you candled them to see if there is internal development? I can typically see the veins relatively quickly and an embryo of increasing size as time passes. If you do candle (I use a mini Maglite), make sure to not do so very frequently and take care to put the egg back in the position you took it from. Sometimes, when the embryo is at/near the hatchling level of development or if the eggshell is thicker than usual, getting a good visual may be difficult.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcata eggs should hatch at right around 90 days at those temps. If they stayed in the ground for several cold days and nights I have had some take longer than that and still hatch.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Baoh. I have candled them and see a pinkish glow... But nothing else. No viens or outline....

Tom they were in the ground overnight in low 40* f temps...But I dug them up the next morning and placed them in the incubator..

So should I assume the remaing eggs are not viable?? Or should I continue to incubate them??.

Thank you

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tony the tank said:
I have candled them and see a pinkish glow... But nothing else. No viens or outline....

Tom they were in the ground overnight in low 40* f temps....

Sounds like no fertility. :(

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
The information provided leads me to believe they are not viable. There are exceptions, but they are (tautologically) exceptional. Maybe try opening one. I have done so with painted turtle eggs before. As long as the humidity was up and embryo was mature, the animals went on to finish up normally. Be very careful if you do this, of course.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I was wondering how things were going, I had my fingers crossed for them...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I will give them another week.. Then maybe crack one open.... I don't know what I may have done wrong... Hate the fact that I tried to give them a chance and might have done more harm than good..

On a side note.. Tiny and Tina were at it this morning... So more eggs I would venture soon enough...

I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out..

Thanks again

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It's nothing you did. Infertility happens especially in young adults. I was in the same boat many years ago. Now im overwhelmed with eggs hatching. Sometimes they come out infertile. I always keep my eggs in the incubator unroll I know they are bad. Sometimes they take much longer than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.