New to incubation

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Hey! I am new to the forum and to incubation. My torotises (Russian) starting breeding a little over a year ago... I had several failed attempts at incubation, as I had no idea how to do it and had trouble finding infomration on the proper humidity (at that time). I also did not keep track of when the eggs were laid. I did get one to hatch in September. I now have several eggs in the Incubator again. This Sunday will be 10 weeks. I am concerned as candeling has shown for the past two weeks they are ready to go, but none of the little guys have started to escape their little eggs yet :) Anyone have any advice?! Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It usually takes about 3 months for eggs to hatch. It helps the baby break through the membrane and crack the egg if you raise the humidity just before hatching. I generally spritz warm water over the eggs every morning around hatch time.

Here's a nice Q&A about incubation for you to read:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/eggfaq.html

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Thanks for that infomration. I had always read somewhere between 8 and 10 weeks and I was getting nervous... I will make sure to get that warm water ready!

JoeImhof

5 Year Member
socialworker81 said:
Thanks for that infomration. I had always read somewhere between 8 and 10 weeks and I was getting nervous... I will make sure to get that warm water ready!
55-65 days seems most common for Russians, BUT, I've heard too it can sometimes be much longer, so I wouldnt worry too much

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
emysemys said:
It usually takes about 3 months for eggs to hatch. It helps the baby break through the membrane and crack the egg if you raise the humidity just before hatching. I generally spritz warm water over the eggs every morning around hatch time.

Here's a nice Q&A about incubation for you to read:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/eggfaq.html

:tort: Nice link!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do exactly what Yvonne does.

Incubation temp will also determine how soon they hatch. What temp are you incubating at?

... and Hello and welcome.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
I keep it around 88 degrees Fahrenheit. However, I was not trusting my incubator and put a digital probe thermometer inside recently. It is reading about 83. The humidity seems to be correct on the incubator readout... I'm not sure if the reading fluctuates depending on if the probe is touching something etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.