Home's hingeback eggs

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Ok, the one on top is the heater.View attachment 157474
Do I need holes on the lid or keep it completely sealed?
Ah, I didn't see that in the first photo.
Your question is probably for the more experienced than me regarding holes and air flow.
However when you put the lid on it should naturally let some air through replacing stail air.
Others will have way more knowledge on this than I.
@Tom @N2TORTS should be able to help with homemade incubators. I'm guessing they have played about in earlier years.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Ah, I didn't see that in the first photo.
Your question is probably for the more experienced than me regarding holes and air flow.
However when you put the lid on it should naturally let some air through replacing stail air.
Others will have way more knowledge on this than I.
@Tom @N2TORTS should be able to help with homemade incubators. I'm guessing they have played about in earlier years.
Thanks

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449938691.643872.jpg
I got the vermiculite, hygrometer and sphagnum moss. The bottom is the lid. How should I make holes for air circulation? The water will be filled until just below the top of the bricks, then I will adjust the temperature. The vermiculite will be in the plastic container.

The first egg will go in the incubator on the 20th December. Need help as soon as possible. One more question for now:
What should I do when I go traveling for a week or a few days?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
View attachment 158474
I got the vermiculite, hygrometer and sphagnum moss. The bottom is the lid. How should I make holes for air circulation? The water will be filled until just below the top of the bricks, then I will adjust the temperature. The vermiculite will be in the plastic container.

The first egg will go in the incubator on the 20th December. Need help as soon as possible. One more question for now:
What should I do when I go traveling for a week or a few days?
I just looked at my incubator, and there is about 8 small holes where the lid fits the base. Holes are about 1cm in diameter.
Don't just poor water in your box, put trays in with water in them. Make sure you get temp and humidity right at the height where your eggs are. For example my incubator is set at 32.2° to get 29.4° down at the level where the eggs are.
You won't need to do anything when you go out. Just set it up and leave. Be sure your water trays don't dry up. Also where you live what are the temperatures like for the next 4 months. If it gets hotter than you require in your incubator your incubator will get too hot.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
I just looked at my incubator, and there is about 8 small holes where the lid fits the base. Holes are about 1cm in diameter.
Don't just poor water in your box, put trays in with water in them. Make sure you get temp and humidity right at the height where your eggs are. For example my incubator is set at 32.2° to get 29.4° down at the level where the eggs are.
You won't need to do anything when you go out. Just set it up and leave. Be sure your water trays don't dry up. Also where you live what are the temperatures like for the next 4 months. If it gets hotter than you require in your incubator your incubator will get too hot.
The holes at the edges of the lid? How big will the tray be, should it also allow the water to reach the bricks? Everything should be on top then?
Also what temps for the eggs to be female?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The holes at the edges of the lid? How big will the tray be, should it also allow the water to reach the bricks? Everything should be on top then?
Also what temps for the eggs to be female?
Yeah just drill 4 to 8 small holes near the top of your box to aid air circulation.
You can put as many water trays in as you want, use same size tubs as what your eggs are going to be in, don't wet the bricks.
The reason they recommend putting house bricks in a homemade Inc is just to reduce air mass, once the bricks are at the desired temp it will make the temps more stable. There is no point heating up a massive box for 3 eggs, you could put some bricks under your water trays too.
Don't know what you mean everything should be on top.
At higher temps you force female gender, however you also run the risk of deformity of the juveniles. Dont mess about with that.
Just keep your temp around 28.5°c.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Yeah just drill 4 to 8 small holes near the top of your box to aid air circulation.
You can put as many water trays in as you want, use same size tubs as what your eggs are going to be in, don't wet the bricks.
The reason they recommend putting house bricks in a homemade Inc is just to reduce air mass, once the bricks are at the desired temp it will make the temps more stable. There is no point heating up a massive box for 3 eggs, you could put some bricks under your water trays too.
Don't know what you mean everything should be on top.
At higher temps you force female gender, however you also run the risk of deformity of the juveniles. Dont mess about with that.
Just keep your temp around 28.5°c.

Ok, and what I meant about everything on top is the tray is at the bottom, the heater, bricks, and the whole inside setup is on the tray.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ok, and what I meant about everything on top is the tray is at the bottom, the heater, bricks, and the whole inside setup is on the tray.
Put your tray on the bricks like a bridge, so air can go under between the bricks.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Put your tray on the bricks like a bridge, so air can go under between the bricks.
You mean keep the bottom dry where the bricks are, then put the tray with water and put the egg container with the water?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You mean keep the bottom dry where the bricks are, then put the tray with water and put the egg container with the water?
Place your bricks on bottom. Put the tray with the egg in across those 2 bricks. Then add another tray with water in it and place on the bottom of your incubator. If you struggle getting humidity up add more water trays, also raising a water tray off the bottom may give you more humidity. Make sure your temperature probe is near your egg.
If your water tray is higher up in the hotter part of the incubator it will create higher humidity.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Place your bricks on bottom. Put the tray with the egg in across those 2 bricks. Then add another tray with water in it and place on the bottom of your incubator. If you struggle getting humidity up add more water trays, also raising a water tray off the bottom may give you more humidity. Make sure your temperature probe is near your egg.
If your water tray is higher up in the hotter part of the incubator it will create higher humidity.
Can you upload a pic? Kinda confused.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Just now I was setting up the incubator for day after tomorrow and I just noticed something.IMG_1441.JPG

The heater isn't even heated and the temps are already 28-29 (Thermometer accuracy 1ºC+-) and the humidity is about 88-90%.
After that I went to check on the diapause box and the temps are 28+ºC and humidity is 85+

What happened to the eggs in the diapause box because the temps and humidity is quite close to the incubation requirements. Could the eggs start incubation already?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just now I was setting up the incubator for day after tomorrow and I just noticed something.View attachment 159047

The heater isn't even heated and the temps are already 28-29 (Thermometer accuracy 1ºC+-) and the humidity is about 88-90%.
After that I went to check on the diapause box and the temps are 28+ºC and humidity is 85+

What happened to the eggs in the diapause box because the temps and humidity is quite close to the incubation requirements. Could the eggs start incubation already?
Yes. This is what I was saying to you. If your climate is hot anyway, you may be better off just incubating them in a tub somewhere. Only trouble is you are at the peril of mother nature and have no control over your temps. If I lived where you do. In the future I would leave the eggs in the ground where they were laid. I know in this instance you didn't have a choice. Your diapause box is at the parameters of incubation. If it stops like that for the duration of incubation your in luck.
Living in the uk I don't have the problem of eggs getting overheated.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Yes. This is what I was saying to you. If your climate is hot anyway, you may be better off just incubating them in a tub somewhere. Only trouble is you are at the peril of mother nature and have no control over your temps. If I lived where you do. In the future I would leave the eggs in the ground where they were laid. I know in this instance you didn't have a choice. Your diapause box is at the parameters of incubation. If it stops like that for the duration of incubation your in luck.
Living in the uk I don't have the problem of eggs getting overheated.
If it is like this, when can I candle the eggs? Do I need to increase the humidity?