Really strange!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
One of my girls laid 3eggs with no outer shell on the surface 4 weeks ago, last week she dug a nest a foot and a half deep and burried 4 eggs lovely hard shells, today she laid another egg with no outer shell on the surface??? What is going on???

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Hmm ... Birds and reptiles have an organ that adds calcium to their eggs inside the abdomen. I can think of two reasons why your tortoise might be laying eggs with no shell:

1) Insufficient calcium in the diet to adequately coat eggs, or
2) Genetic or developmental defect in the candle organ that deposits calcium.

If her diet contains enough minerals, then you might be dealing with a malformed reproductive system. Any other thoughts out there?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Chickens can be traumatized into laying eggs before the hard shell is on. And some chickens have egg-producing equipment that simply isn't working right.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Is this her first time laying? One of my female sulcatas did that on her first time (although it was only one) and hasnt done it since.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Is this her first time laying? One of my female sulcatas did that on her first time (although it was only one) and hasnt done it since.

I had this happen too.

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
Clear pics of her or the eggs? Her diet and calcium intake is really good she is an excellent feeder one if my best she eats cuttle fish, nutrobol, I give her ace high the day after laying just for her, she has limestone alternate days and the eggs she laid in her nest were like rock she dug a nest into hardcore of all places and broke up concrete we could not believe it the eggs in the incubator are lovely and white she is also one of the rare leopards that is not shy at all she is out with all the family all the time she loves company tortoises and humans which is quite rare for a leo lol so I am finding it quite strange my tortoise vet said she is in fabulous health for what she is laying he has tested poo weight is just over 6kg she came to me with a damaged carprace and shell rot which could have been a bit of mbd as she was kept in a tiny viv with no outdoor enclosure most of her life her growth rate has slowed down the shell rot treated and no more she is now in a 14 ft x 14 ft heated housing leafing into a natural bathing area with her own garden full of natural uv any ideas from this info would help?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I'm sure they are wanting pics of the un shelled eggs. Sounds like you are doing everything right. But is this her first time laying?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Then I wouldnt be too worried about it. Now if she were to consistently do it in her next clutches then I would start to get worried.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
My Leo is doing the exact same thing. She has dropped out a total of 4 eggs so far. She is outside charging around her enclosure as we speak. Going back and forth along the fence line.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Did your Leo ever lay? Or is she still continuing to drop them on the ground...
I ask because my female finally dug a hole this evening...the one that had been dropping eggs on the ground as well. Let us know!!:)

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
Yes her nest eggs are still in the incubator this laying on the ground she did before she dug a nest and now after?? I have had 3 eggs on the ground after the nest so far

Status
Not open for further replies.