eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

aardvark

5 Year Member
My tort Tallulah laid two eggs on 3rd September to my surprise as I thought this was quite late on in the year. I am incubating the eggs and they appear to have changed in colour and also inside appears to be going reddish. Does this mean they are fertile? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi aardvark:

You've neglected to tell us what kind of tortoise Tallulah is.

Tortoise eggs turn whiter or start to chalk when they are fertile. In my experience, the pinker eggs were not fertile.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If you are seeing reddish color during candling, they are likely fertile. Either way, let them incubate. Sometimes we get a surprise.

aardvark

5 Year Member
Hi there thanks . You can actually see the colour without candling. If they are fertile roughly how long will it be before they hatch.

JoeImhof

5 Year Member
Just to clarify the above two posts that seem to be contradictory (but arent neccessarily).......

If the egg candles and you dont see anything at all BUT it is FAINTLY pink/orangy, sorta like a very light colored faint orange jello, then its probably an empty infertile egg where the light going thru the yolk makes the light pink/light orange glow.

BUT,

If your egg candles DARK pink, hard to see all the way thru, then its probably a fertile egg, and the dark pink is from all the veins etc starting.

After you see a few of each, its pretty easy to know which of the above. But could be tricky if its first time.

Make sure the room is very dark. Try the light both on top of egg, and on sides. Most likely if its red because of veins, you should see a few from some angle. At least from my experience hatching a few Russians.

Status
Not open for further replies.