Electrical Tape to fix lining

theodorethetort

Location (City and/or State)
Boston
Hi everyone!

I just recently made a purchase of a new tortoise enclosure to upgrade my Russians space.
There is a small hole in the lining (damn you, craigslist purchases) which is big enough for me to fit my hand through.

Would it be safe for me to tape it up with electrical tape and place a rock over it, or should I move towards replacing the entire liner itself. It is in a corner and is perfectly covered by a rock.

Let me know what you think.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm having trouble understanding a lining for a Russian tortoise??? If it's the tortoise in the picture, I would be more concerned with building him a safe outdoor habitat. He's too big to keep indoors. And Russians hibernate, so when the weather turns cold instead of setting him up indoors, you can allow him to hibernate.

theodorethetort

Boston
Hi Yvonne,

I'll attach some photos to this post. The enclosure is 6 feet by 2.5 feet (which isn't quite big enough, still, I understand) but currently as I live in metro Boston I don't have the space to build an outdoor enclosure (nor would I be comfortable leaving Theodore outside in the city). It is a sturdy wooden enclosure that was lined with a pond liner, the same type that you'd use in creating a back yard pond of sorts. To avoid needing to replace the liner, I was hoping that I could seal the 3 inch tear that is in the corner with electrical tape and then cover it with a large rock (the one seen in the back left corner of the picture I uploaded.

Thanks for your help!

Theodore cage.jpg cagehole.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

theodorethetort

Boston
Also! I have yet to fill the enclosure with substrate. I will be using a mixture of fir bark and coco coir. Don't want to scare you with the enclosure that has no substrate! :):tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
how well does electrical tape hold up with moisture? I would probably try to replace the entire lining if it was me

theodorethetort

Boston
Hi dmmj. It seems like the's been a few small patches that have been fixed with electrical tape. I presume it holds up well if it's not entirely submerged in water.

Thanks for your help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use a product called Gorilla Tape. It's a very, very sturdy and sticky duct tape. I think Gorilla tape would work better than electrical tape.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Ya Gorilla Tape or Duct Tape (the silver one)that stuff is pretty impossible to remove so it should stay put!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I use a product called Gorilla Tape. It's a very, very sturdy and sticky duct tape. I think Gorilla tape would work better than electrical tape.
how many Gorillas had to die so you could have your precious tape?

theodorethetort

Boston
Hi guys! Thanks for all the input, really!

Do you think that Gorilla tape would be safe (chemically) for my tort? That's ultimately what I used to patch it up, but a small piece of me still worries about his overall health.

Thanks again!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i've alway's just stapled my lining in.

ah never mind just saw you meant patching a tear. gorilla tape is awesome stuff but make sure you get it right the first time pulling it off would probably rip it more

ethan508

Northern Utah
Both vinyl and rubber liners can be repaired much like you repair a flat bike tire (a material specific patch plus material specific glue, often sold as pond repair kits). If you are worried about chemicals use a glue that is safe for underwater/pond applications, but a glue that is properly cured (just follow the instructions exactly) won't outgas chemicals any more than any other plastic product.

Where the liner is a general moisture barrier rather than a water tight pressure barrier, a staple down patch might work well too.