Emergency enclosure

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Napa, Ca
we have had to evacuate the area due to fires. What do I do for temporary housing? I can build something really quick and make a temporary house, but what do I need

Thanks
Kevin

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It won't kill them/him to live in a cardboard box until it's safe to go home. Will he like it? Probably not. But then we all have to endure a hardship now and then. As long as he gets his food and water, he's fine.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
If you can pick up a cheap kiddie pool that's what I use as a temporary enclosure, or like Yvonne says, a cardboard box will work fine for a bit.

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
I’m referring more to environment. Keeping him on a towel? Heating pads? Should I go out and get a temporary light or two? It will likely be a day or two (providing we have no structural damage) that we’ll be in hotels.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would say just make sure they are secure, warm, and have food and water.
Keep us updated. Sorry for your traumatic event!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Since you are talking hotel. A medium to large Rubbermaid container, a bag of shredded orchid bark, an overhead clip on light and an extra che if you have one to maintain warmth, a smaller box/hide inside the rubbermsid to provide a place for tort to seek shelter.

Good luck with the fires and hope all is well. Some warm water soaks too will keep tirt happy. Keep the a/c low... U don't want drafts on your tort.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I have been checking the news on the fires - horrendous! Keep yourself and your family safe. All the best.
What a year this has been - hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, fires!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I usually use towels for temp enclosures, it's easy to toss them in the wash.

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
Yesterday I finalized his setup. I pretty much did exactly what @Maro2Bear suggested (without having even read it until just now). I have a 50 gal rolling tub. Orchid bark. 75W Che, 75 W indoor/outdoor flood, reptisun Uv tube (requisitioned from he normal enclosure), water/food dishes, and a hefty tub hide at one end.

he seems comfortable, and is eating well despite the stress of the situation. I'm having a near impossible time getting the temp over 92 degrees (with a very low hanging CHE... bus definitely higher than his shell could potentially scrape). should the temp be any different?

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
P.S. thanks for all your concern... this **** is an absolute mess...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Absolutely horrifying and traumatic. Once again, hope you come through OK!
Your tortoise is one of the lucky ones, I am sure.

Northern California
If you are having trouble with temperature, I have found hand warmers can be great temporary heat boosters for putting in hides or areas where it needs to be hotter, and heat sources for transport if you can find them. As long as the tort doesn't try and eat them.

Anne L

Sarasota FL, USA
If you can pick up a cheap kiddie pool that's what I use as a temporary enclosure, or like Yvonne says, a cardboard box will work fine for a bit.
Kiddie pools are great, they give room and are easy to clean and lightweight. Boxes are good too, to a point...they do absorb feces and can be useless once wet. Also in a pinch rubber maid bins work well . I like the deep bins so Dently cannot get out like he can with the kiddie pool. He is big enough to tip the whole pool over now once he gets up on a side.