Enclosure Environment

Sarah C.

Location (City and/or State)
ONEONTA, NY
I am writing this because I wanna plan ahead, I have my Hermann Tortoise and A Russian and I know they both can get up to 10 inches. My question is I really would love to adopt one more tortoise, I was thinking the leopard or the red legged tortoise. I want to know what the minimum requirements are for having 3 or the size for just a Hermann and Russian. And how big of an enclosure id have to get for 3 tortoises.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I am writing this because I wanna plan ahead, I have my Hermann Tortoise and A Russian and I know they both can get up to 10 inches. My question is I really would love to adopt one more tortoise, I was thinking the leopard or the red legged tortoise. I want to know what the minimum requirements are for having 3 or the size for just a Hermann and Russian. And how big of an enclosure id have to get for 3 tortoises.

So, to be clear, you are wanting to keep all three in the same enclosure? Probably a non-starter really.

Sarah C.

ONEONTA, NY
Yes I'd love to be able to get 3 Tortoise's in one enclosure. That's IF it can be done in a way that doesn't leave either one stressed. I know a 40 breeder is a nice tank. Only reason their not in there is simply because I adopted a 2 foot ball python.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
This is one I am building for my Russian for Winter here in Virginia. It is 3’x11’. My leopard tortoise will use it spring and summer while I prep a corner of my basement for that enclosure. Good luck

Attachments

• 3D75AD67-7BED-43CC-A2DC-E84C865FAFF4.jpeg
    3D75AD67-7BED-43CC-A2DC-E84C865FAFF4.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • F765ABAF-C226-4B3C-914D-EAA6AC5D4D6D.jpeg
    F765ABAF-C226-4B3C-914D-EAA6AC5D4D6D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Species should never be mixed.

Tortoises should never be kept in pairs.

A 40 gallon tank is much too small for anything larger than a little hatchling.

Leopards have totally different care requirements than Testudo species.

Red foot tortoises have totally different care requirements and diet requirements than all three other species.

You'll need a separate enclosure for each species, and the minimum for a single Testudo tortoise should be around 4x8'.

This should help:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Sarah C.

ONEONTA, NY
I don't think that I am getting another one it was a what of situation and I have herd of being able to mix species as long as certain things were taken care of, like a big enough enclosure, the personality and gender of the two. And my question was meant for how big of an enclosure they needed once fully grown, which I should have explained myself better. There are a lot of people on youtube who house Hermann's and Russian's together, space is huge and the little guys have a good personality. BUT I know one day they can be kind to each other and then one day something happens and it changes them, while my husband and I are gone for the day for work my mom babysits them and stays in the same room. And we let the two out a lot to free roam making sure OF COURSE that the floor is clean, they can't get into anything and can't get electrocuted or hurt or stuck. They are never alone while free roaming just to make sure no one gets hurt or stuck on top of their back, when ever that happens I panic when I see them on top of there backs (Shells) it use to be common thankfully I made upgrades and my little guy doesn't get stuck anymore.

I do appreciate the honesty and also the help I truly appreciate it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Different species of tortoise might make each other sick, no matter how big the enclosure. Their "germs" are not compatible. People on youtube don't always know the best way to care for tortoises. Anyone can make a video.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think that I am getting another one it was a what of situation and I have herd of being able to mix species as long as certain things were taken care of, like a big enough enclosure, the personality and gender of the two. And my question was meant for how big of an enclosure they needed once fully grown, which I should have explained myself better. There are a lot of people on youtube who house Hermann's and Russian's together, space is huge and the little guys have a good personality. BUT I know one day they can be kind to each other and then one day something happens and it changes them, while my husband and I are gone for the day for work my mom babysits them and stays in the same room. And we let the two out a lot to free roam making sure OF COURSE that the floor is clean, they can't get into anything and can't get electrocuted or hurt or stuck. They are never alone while free roaming just to make sure no one gets hurt or stuck on top of their back, when ever that happens I panic when I see them on top of there backs (Shells) it use to be common thankfully I made upgrades and my little guy doesn't get stuck anymore.

The floor is too cold in ANY home. They should not be allowed to free roam a house, even if you are watching them every second.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Our intention is not to brow beat or insult you in any way. Our only interest is in helping to keep tortoises happy and healthy.

About enclosure size: There is no scientific study that says what size enclosure is "needed" for any species of tortoise. What that question will get you is individual opinions, based on people's experiences and "feelings" about the matter. Here is where my opinion comes from: Tortoises, much like horses, require locomotion to help move the food through the GI tract. Larger enclosures for exercise also keep them fitter which helps. A tortoise isn't going to instantly drop dead if placed in an enclosure that is too small, but over time it causes problems. This is why I use the phrase that "bigger is better" when it comes to tortoise enclosures. I think the minimum size for an adult of any Testudo species should be 4x8'. Even bigger outdoors when possible. An adult leopard or redfoot will need a room sized enclosure, but not on the floor, unless the floor is heated and not used for anything but the tortoises.

About the floor: There is no way to make it safe, and no amount of diligent supervision can make it safe. Its too cold and there are always little items that get dropped, plus dust bunnies, fumes and residues, and a whole host of other hazards. I work with a lot of vets and hear all their tortoise horror stories. We see it here on the forum all the time too. One tortoise swallowed a 2 inch sewing pin and the person had no idea where it came from. Another one swallowed a monopoly piece. Another member here smashed her tortoises head in the door jamb. I've seen lots of X-rays of tortoises that have been kicked or stepped on that have broken legs or shells. And did we mention its too cold down there? :) Tortoise should not be running loose in human areas. They need to be contained in their large enclosure to be kept safe and sound.

About youtube videos: There is all sorts of wrong and dangerous stuff posted on you tube. People jump motorcycles over active roads! Doesn't mean its safe or the everyone should do it. Again, my vet friends tell me about entire tortoise collections wiped out from people mixing species. Diet and temperature requirements aside, the pathogens that live in a commensal relationship with one species from one part of the world are deadly to other species from other parts of the world. There is just no defensible reason to take this risk. They don't enjoy each others company or get benefit from it, so why risk their lives?