Enclosure ideas

drew54

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I've been puzzled for a while on how I should do the additional 50 gallon tub to add on to her current one. I was thinking a different environment encouraging exploration and anything to give a natural rainforest feel. I think going the tropical theme would be more pleasing. My goal with this is to give her more room obviously, but to give a different environment to explore. I am open to ideas and everything down to set up. This would give a total of 6x2 ft area for her roam.

Pictures, thoughts, etc needed for ideas. :)

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
How deep are the tubs? I'm a big fan of creating "hills" for my tort to climb for extra exercise. Just be cautious about placing tge hills too close to any heat source.

drew54

Indiana
How deep are the tubs? I'm a big fan of creating "hills" for my tort to climb for extra exercise. Just be cautious about placing tge hills too close to any heat source.

18 inches deep, but also depends on how much substrate I have to add. I thought about hills and have some ideas on things to use for hills, but I'm concerned about how steep they should be and how high?. Oh yes! I most definitely will not place any too high under the heat lamp.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
18 inches deep, but also depends on how much substrate I have to add. I thought about hills and have some ideas on things to use for hills, but I'm concerned about how steep they should be and how high?. Oh yes! I most definitely will not place any too high under the heat lamp.
They shouldn't be so steep that the tort has a potential to flip itself over. My enclosure has 32" of clearance, so I can be a little more extravagant with my hills. As it is, my highest hill is only about 4" or so, so not too pronounced.

drew54

Indiana
Other than hills and changing the enclosure around do you do anything else to stimulate them?