Enclosure landscaping thread

Salspi

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
642B2DB2-3011-4E58-A300-13439B5614D5.jpeg

87BC996A-25AF-4707-ADCF-9566207A4A6F.jpeg

C184554C-B496-4463-A020-77AE2A5DFF34.jpeg

Hey friends

If you would like, post pics of how you have landscaped your enclosures. I think this would be a good thread to start so that people can get good ideas for their enclosures. Maybe even learn some husbandry stuff in the mean time.

My setup...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
View attachment 244694

View attachment 244696

View attachment 244697

Hey friends

If you would like, post pics of how you have landscaped your enclosures. I think this would be a good thread to start so that people can get good ideas for their enclosures. Maybe even learn some husbandry stuff in the mean time.

My setup...

It might be very beneficial to point out what reptile the enclosure is set up to house. Whats good for a Redfoot or Sulcata is not suited for a Box Turtle or California Desert Tort..etc.

Salspi

Chicago
It might be very beneficial to point out what reptile the enclosure is set up to house. Whats good for a Redfoot or Sulcata is not suited for a Box Turtle or California Desert Tort..etc.

This thread is NOT asking for advice on what is being kept..... it IS for showing how you Landscaped the enclosure to look cool. Let’s try and have an artistic side for once and not a “ I’m gonna tell you what you’re doing wrong “ attitude. Every other thread is like that. Please allow this Thread to continue in that way.

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
@Salspi Great idea for a thread! Tomorrow when there is good light, I’ll take some pictures.

I am curious to know how often real plants vs fabric plants vs plastic plants are used.

I notice rocks in water dishes — looks nice, why is it done?

Nice pics so far!

@TechnoCheese Does the beardie get into the little hammock? I want a pic!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
@Salspi Great idea for a thread! Tomorrow when there is good light, I’ll take some pictures.

I am curious to know how often real plants vs fabric plants vs plastic plants are used.

Nice pics so far!

Nah, he never gets into it, lol. I wish he did!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I just started setting up a new enclosure today, This is what I have so far.Picture 1879 copy.jpg I'm getting the temps set where i want them first. The pots will be used as hides. I have zero artistic ability so it probably wont win any awards on looks when finished. But I will post a pic when finished setting it up anyway.

Salspi

Chicago

Nice pics so far!

It’s just to help the Kleinmanni move around in the water dish. In case of a flipping tortoise, it helps avoid drowning accidents. But to be honest, I chose a pebble that seems too slippery when wet. Gonna change them out.

Salspi

Chicago
I just started setting up a new enclosure today, This is what I have so far.View attachment 244722 I'm getting the temps set where i want them first. The pots will be used as hides. I have zero artistic ability so it probably wont win any awards on looks when finished. But I will post a pic when finished setting it up anyway.

Hopefully someone on this thread posts a pic that gives you some inspiration

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
[Note: Substrate is oyster shell, one of only two recommended substrates for t. kleinmanni.]

My species of tortoise (Egyptian) cannot risk any pathogens occuring from dampness. So most of my decor is synthetic. I wanted either real plants or fabric plants, but I found that plastic work best. Plastic won't absorb any moisture, the moisture just evaporates; and Sunshine doesn't pull off the leaves.

I found the easiest type of plants are for aquariums. They have a weighted bottom that is easily buried in the substrate. Like this:
IMG_4780.JPG

The big rocks are real. I live in rocky country. I collected them outside. I soaked them in water for a couple of days, then boiled them for an hour. I placed them to look nice and to make her exercise her legs.

IMG_4770.JPG

The little cave and both pieces of driftwood are also synthetic aquarium items. I have one half-log hide that she doesn't like much, so it will probably go. I also put some timothy hay in hiding places to mimic the grass she would burrow under in the wild. But the hay is aromatic and not native to her, so I will probably replace with some dried grass from our area.

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4772.JPG

IMG_4768.JPG

I tweak it, but very slowly as I know torts don't like change.

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
@Turtulas-Len. You've got all the right stuff there to make a nice enclosure. If you want to spruce it up, go buy some aquarium plants. Then every place you have something like a hiding pot, just plop a fake plant next to it and that's that!

Looking forward to see your finished product. :)