Enclosure mold

Chizbad

Location (City and/or State)
Wilmington, NC
Just curious how long it would take a enclosed plywood chamber to begin molding? I have a thick black plastic under about 6 inches of substrate... will the walls and roof begin to mold and how long would that take?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A lot depends..... What grade plywood? Marine grade plywood, properly primed and painted with a good exterior paint will last a relatively long time. Also depends on how much air flow, humidity levels, etc. so, there are many external factors starting with the grade of wood.

Reactions: Tom

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
A lot depends..... What grade plywood? Marine grade plywood, properly primed and painted with a good exterior paint will last a relatively long time. Also depends on how much air flow, humidity levels, etc. so, there are many external factors starting with the grade of wood.

That’s what I’m worrying about... I didn’t buy the most expensive plywood but by no means was the cheapest either. I used no paint, it’s just raw. Humidity levels are high, 80%ish. Is this like an immediate worry or is it going to take a while for that wood to get nasty?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That’s what I’m worrying about... I didn’t buy the most expensive plywood but by no means was the cheapest either. I used no paint, it’s just raw. Humidity levels are high, 80%ish. Is this like an immediate worry or is it going to take a while for that wood to get nasty?
No way to predict it. Depends on many individual factors in your enclosure. Slightly increasing ventilation will stop it if it starts.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
On the one relatively large enclosure I constructed for our Sully, I didnt use plywood, but It wasnt marine grade wood either. I applied 2-3 coats of Kilz and then a good exterior paint. Never did get any mold on the wood structure, not even underneath the plastic tarp on the floor (covered with many inches of wet substrate, water bowl spills...and a mister).

Is there still time to apply anything?

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
No way to predict it. Depends on many individual factors in your enclosure. Slightly increasing ventilation will stop it if it starts.

How great is the immediate danger to a tort? I don’t see any currently but I can’t vouch for the knooks and crannies I can’t see. Just making sure my little one is safe in this thing lol

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
On the one relatively large enclosure I constructed for our Sully, I didnt use plywood, but It wasnt marine grade wood either. I applied 2-3 coats of Kilz and then a good exterior paint. Never did get any mold on the wood structure, not even underneath the plastic tarp on the floor (covered with many inches of wet substrate, water bowl spills...and a mister).

Is there still time to apply anything?

Nahhhh, I think at this point i guess I’m asking how long I should wait before starting the next build... it was built maybe a month ago and and still seems fresh at this point

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How great is the immediate danger to a tort? I don’t see any currently but I can’t vouch for the knooks and crannies I can’t see. Just making sure my little one is safe in this thing lol
In my experience? Zero danger to the tortoise.