enclosure question

Venetia

Location (City and/or State)
Bishop California
I recently adopted a 90 lb (handicapped birth defect, missing one back foot) male sulcata from San Diego and brought him to Bishop California. I have built him a 6×4×2 1/2winter house, based on all the information I learned here, big thank you to everyone especially you Tom. I've installed a small oil-filled radiator and kane heat mat both have their own Zilla thermostat. Do I need to set both thermostats at 80°? And do I also need RHP as well? Last, when I close it up at night it's relatively airtight, shouldn't I install a vent of some kind? I'm concerned that he may suffocate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I recently adopted a 90 lb (handicapped birth defect, missing one back foot) male sulcata from San Diego and brought him to Bishop California. I have built him a 6×4×2 1/2winter house, based on all the information I learned here, big thank you to everyone especially you Tom. I've installed a small oil-filled radiator and kane heat mat both have their own Zilla thermostat. Do I need to set both thermostats at 80°? And do I also need RHP as well? Last, when I close it up at night it's relatively airtight, shouldn't I install a vent of some kind? I'm concerned that he may suffocate.

I don't think you need a RHP with an oil heater. If you find that your oil heater and heat mat can't keep it warm enough, which is unlikely, then you might want to add a RHP. I set it for 70ish in summer when days will be around 100. In winter, I set the thermostat to 86 to keep them warm enough during our occasional cold spells.

My boxes usually have a decent gap around the door way. Plenty of oxygen flows in this way. Reptiles don't need nearly as much oxygen as we do. A cool, resting reptile needs hardly any. Even if your box was completely air tight, I don't think your tortoise could suffocate in a night. Adding a vent will let your heated air out and cold air in.