Enclosure Questions

jket2000

This is the enclosure for my rescued tortoise. I need to know what I could possibly do so the heat stays inside. It's not getting very hot since the top is completely open. One reptile shop suggested getting plexiglass and having it custom cut to fit the domes. Another shop mentioned aluminum foil to retain heat. A Facebook user suggested have a sheet of metal custom cut for the domes. The enclosure is 4'x2'.

Also, It's been a problem getting the screen cover off to take her out to let her roam around and change her food/water dish. Any DIY ideas to make a custom top for easier handling, or any other suggestions? Thank you in advance. It is a work in progress and we're looking at possibly building a custom enclosure in the future.

(I know glass tanks are not ideal for red foots, but we're working on improving her enclosure. I've come across reptile tile backgrounds, any thoughts on those?)20150323_105841.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot require a UV source. I have my tortoise room at 80 degrees and don't use a heat lamp at all.
That tank is extremely small for that tortoise.
Can you post a picture of what type of lights you have?

jket2000

Reptisun T5 HO UV Bulb, 150 Watt Basking bulb, 150 Watt Heating Bulb, and 100 Watt Heating Bulb. I know it's small, and we're talking about building a bigger custom enclosure. We have gone to several reptile shops and asked about enclosures, all said this size was fine for now as long as we let her out to roam around, which we do.

jket2000

Thanks! I hope to find out more information as I go along. When we rescued her, she was sharing her previous 6x2 enclosure with a 3 foot iguana,

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have seen some great enclosures made out of taping rubbermaid totes together
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermai...bo-Storage-Tote-Dark-Indigo-Metallic/38664667

For my box turtle I use a piece of foam insulation board as my lids. I cut out holes for the lights & line the holes with aluminum foil tape. IMG_5654.JPG
For my other two, my husband built me enclosed chambers out of plywood & windows we bought at a resale store. Easiest way to maintain humidity & tempsIMG_5397.JPG

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Try not to take it personal when we tell you something is not right. We're not attacking you, we just want what's best for the tortoise. Your tort has already had a hard life with all that pyramiding.
That tank is not fine. Can your tort survive in it? Yes, just like you can survive in a jail cell. It's on the small side for a hatchling let alone one your size. Letting it out to roam is not a good idea either (unless we're talking about roaming around in an outdoor enclosure). The floor has far too many hazards for a tortoise and your risking injury. The floor is too cold, has dust bunnies and carpet fibers that can be eaten, electrical cords that can be chewed on... It could get stepped on ect, ect. Torts are not like dogs or cats and should be left to roam the house.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Now, back to your orginal question. Or that tank I would not invest anymore money. Just use tin foil to hold the heat and humidity in. I would also get rid of the that analog disk gauge you have in there. They are notoriously inaccurate. For $10 you can go to Home Depot and get a digital one that measures both temperature and humidity. It's made by accurite and it also keeps tract of your daily highs and lows. I'll pull the link up for you.

How handy are you at building things? You can build a table for cheaper than you can buy one and it will be bigger and better. For now I would get some plastic storage containers and use them instead of that tank. You can find one big one or get a few smaller ones and cut th sides out ms glue them together to make a big one. Nobody says a good set up has to cost a lot of money. Take a look around the enclosure section to get some ideas.

jket2000

Thank you, I appreciate everyone's help. I understand about not taking it personally. We just got her over the weekend. One of the people that we spoke to owns close to 2 dozen red foots and he has an entire room dedicated to them, not sure why someone with his experience would say this enclosure is fine. Thank you all for this information.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Welcome to forum! I have a Redfoot as well! This forum is very helpful, my tortoises are doing great because of it! :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Here's what I did.
6ft Bookcase, 2 shower curtains, plastic greenhouse and Coco coir. You already have the lights so it shouldn't be to expensive.
You can check thrift stores, CL or garage sales for a bookcase.

This is for night time or rainy days.
This set up creates it's own humidity by adding water and stirring the substrate . I add water about once a week and stir every few days.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427136473.172230.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427136487.307859.jpg