Enclosure size for 4 hermanns? viable?

noyvex

Location (City and/or State)
Spain
I have four one year old hermann tortoises, they were given to me, i didn't expect them. I'd like to house them as best as possible, they've outgrown their current enclosure and i want something future proof. I'm aware that depending on their sex I'll have to either separate them or give them away to someone else, or if i can't provide a big enough enclosure for them to live peacefully.

I have a glass balcony i can remodel that is almost 10ft long by 5ft wide approximately. The weather is great and it's almost like greenhouse.
I have a way bigger patio too, but the weather is not as ideal there, winter is cold, summer hits too hard. I live in southern spain, when i mean it gets hot in the patio i mean the sun hits 24/7 and it can be like 50 degrees easy, meanwhile in winter sun never even hits due to the orientation of the patio. I also have a small dog, so this isn't the most ideal option i think. It's not a soil patio, it's tiled.
In the patio there's a smaller fenced in area that is about 32-39ish square feet. I could put soil there somehow, but my space and weather concerns still stand.

Du you have any recommendations in general? Should i just keep one? is keeping them all viable in any way with my space options?

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unless you have a yard or a room inside the house you can designate to them, the two places you mentioned will not work as an appropriate sized enclosure when they are adults, then you should re-home them. The balcony/greenhouse is big enough for now but will get to hot. They need a closed chamber enclosure for about another year or two with high humidity and controlled heat and proper lighting. .