new hermanns outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_amazing_red

5 Year Member
hi, im new to the site and am just looking for a bit of advice. I have a three yr old hermann, hes about 10cm long. Im moving outside, but am not sure how much space he needs. Ive planned on an 8 by 5 foot enclosure, that any good??? Also, i moved to portugal recently, which weather wise is great for george (the tort) but this means we have a lot more potential predators than in the uk. This has led me to think about housing him on our 2nd floor patio, but im concerned about drainage if it rains alot? As i do t want his enclosure filling with water and I dont want george to have to learn to scuba dive. We have a huge garden but it would be so much nicer to see him up near the house everyday and also not to have to worry about stray dogs, cats, etc. Let me know what you think. And of course il post pics etc when im done! Cheers, daz x

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
Lol at the mental image of a tortoise wearing scuba gear. Can you post pics of the two potential locations? I think a chain link lid would help to keep predators out, and would be dispersed enough that it wont block the sunlight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Amazing":

I don't keep Hermann's tortoises, so I shouldn't offer any advice...I just wanted to welcome you to the forum!!

the_amazing_red

5 Year Member
hi! Thanks for the welcome! I will post pics of both locations, maybe tomorrow?? I was thinking chicken wire lid? The location on the patio is south facing which is good i think!? Where-as the location down in the garden faces east. Also, i dont visit the garden all the time, other than to tend to the chickens, where as the patio is on the way to my front door. See, the front door is on the second floor, as is the rest of the house. The whole downstairs is storage... Or as i call it, a cave. Think a bungalow on top of a cave. Thats my house. Lol. So u can see why i worry about george living down in the garden, as he'd be that little bit further away...? But size wise are we thinkin 8 by 5 is ok? I really dont want to undersize it??? And drainage??? Anyway, il post some pics tomorrow. Thanks for the replies. Daz x

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
the_amazing_red said:
hi! Thanks for the welcome! I will post pics of both locations, maybe tomorrow?? I was thinking chicken wire lid? The location on the patio is south facing which is good i think!? Where-as the location down in the garden faces east. Also, i dont visit the garden all the time, other than to tend to the chickens, where as the patio is on the way to my front door. See, the front door is on the second floor, as is the rest of the house. The whole downstairs is storage... Or as i call it, a cave. Think a bungalow on top of a cave. Thats my house. Lol. So u can see why i worry about george living down in the garden, as he'd be that little bit further away...? But size wise are we thinkin 8 by 5 is ok? I really dont want to undersize it??? And drainage??? Anyway, il post some pics tomorrow. Thanks for the replies. Daz x

8' X 5' is a good size...about what my Hermann's lives in. Your idea of setting him up on the patio is the option I'd choose...more quality tortoise-human time!:cool:

If you're concerned about the enclosure filling up with rain, just drill some drainage holes.

I'm assuming your enclosure will be made of some non-porous material, so you could install PVC tubing, so that any drainage will go just where you want it to.

the_amazing_red

5 Year Member
hey, sorry for the lack of response or pictures. Its seems in portugal when someone says ''we will be round to sort your internet tomorrow'' they mean ''we may come to sort your internet sometime, this month''. Anyway... I have re-measured a little and ive decided to build up on the patio, but im gonna give him 11 ft by 5 ft. Think that should be enough space. Im doing a wood frame lined with plastic sheet to stop the soil etc rotting the wood. Drilling holes for water drainage as suggested. Chicken wire lid on hinges. And.. Er.... Thats it? I think? Ah yes, one other thing, how high should i make it. As im not sure how deep the substrate needs to be, then how high to make hills obstacles etc, and finally how much head room to give him from the heighest point? Daz x

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
the_amazing_red said:
hey, sorry for the lack of response or pictures. Its seems in portugal when someone says ''we will be round to sort your internet tomorrow'' they mean ''we may come to sort your internet sometime, this month''.

Your ISP must a have a branch in N. Texas! Our service can be frustratingly slow, as well. :D

Anyway... I have re-measured a little and ive decided to build up on the patio, but im gonna give him 11 ft by 5 ft. Think that should be enough space.

11' X 5' is great...You can't make a tort's enclosure too big to suit 'em, really! :cool:

Im doing a wood frame lined with plastic sheet to stop the soil etc rotting the wood. Drilling holes for water drainage as suggested. Chicken wire lid on hinges. And.. Er.... Thats it? I think? Ah yes, one other thing, how high should i make it. As im not sure how deep the substrate needs to be, then how high to make hills obstacles etc, and finally how much head room to give him from the heighest point? Daz x

I'd go w/ 18" tall, so that you'd have plenty of room to add features (hills, a few caves, whatever you come up w/).

Sounds like your tort's forever home is going to be nice...put up pics when you can! :cool:

the_amazing_red

5 Year Member
18 inches? I was thinking 2ft? That to high? Also am i right in thinking that its better if the little guy cnt see out through say, wire walls? Im planning on leaving them as solid wood just checking this is best. Also i wanted to ask about ants. No, i dnt want to start an ant farm but im worried about ants moving in with my tort. Now i know i cant put ant killer down but, call me crazy but, i was thinkin maybe the best way to stop ants is water, so i thought mayb george could have a moat? Thoughts? Daz x

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
Stay away from wire walls, they will try to get out that way and can damage their face. Welcome to the sight, it is the best one I have found and the people are great even if you don't agree with them sometimes.:pJack

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
the_amazing_red said:
18 inches? I was thinking 2ft? That to high?

No, 2', or more, would be fine.

Also am i right in thinking that its better if the little guy cnt see out through say, wire walls? Im planning on leaving them as solid wood just checking this is best.

Less frustrating if he can't see out.

Also i wanted to ask about ants. No, i dnt want to start an ant farm but im worried about ants moving in with my tort. Now i know i cant put ant killer down but, call me crazy but, i was thinkin maybe the best way to stop ants is water, so i thought mayb george could have a moat? Thoughts? Daz x

Adopt a native ant-eating lizard or toad to live in/near your tortoise's enclosure...as long as there's food available, either will stick around

Status
Not open for further replies.