Enclosure size guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Tom said:
I get it that these are minimums, but I can't fathom keeping and adult sulcata in a 10x10' enclosure.

I don't know for sure if I have converted them right, but it is about the surface. For an adult Sulcata (More than 55cm-21.7") you need an enclosure that is (for example) 3meter (118.1") x 2 meter (78.7").

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
In Germany, the equivilant code is the Gutachten uber Mindestanforderugen an die Haltung von Reptilien January 10, 1997 (appraisals on minimum requirements for the maintenance of reptiles). It is not legally binding, but is used by authorities for inspections, etc. and you can be cited for abuse, etc. if your enclosures do not measure up.

To put the German guidelines in the easiest format, you need at LEAST 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths for 1-2 tortoises, 10% more for the 3rd and 4th, and another 20% for the 5th on. By this standard, a 30" Sulcata would need at LEAST 20'x10' (200 square feet) for 1-2 animals, 220 square feet for 3-4, etc.

Source: South American Tortoises by Vinke and Vetter.

Direct link to a German Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection- http://translate.google.com/transla...=lfJWUfrZJIO29QSj54D4CQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQ7gEwAA

Status
Not open for further replies.