Enclosure Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
My hatchling Florida Boxie currently lives in an 18 gallon rubbermaid tote with holes cut out for UVB light, heat light and humidifier that my brother made. I have a large black water dish (its a shallow plate that is dishwasher safe) a coconut hut and a potted lettuce plant mix that i planted from seeds. The substrate is cypress mulch and sphagnum moss mix.

I want to add something else to the tank so she feels more hidden but i dont know what ..

In the pic u can see one side of the cage, pretty much the only thing u cant see is the rest of the water dish and a little empty space..

THANKS for suggestions !!

Attachments

• cage .jpg
    cage .jpg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 52

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the picture is the whole tank, except water dish, wouldn't he be a little crowded if you add something else, if the empty space in the picture is the only empty space? If there is more space available, you could add more plants, live or silk/plastic. Just make sure he doesn't try to eat the fake ones. Also logs or rocks. Maybe you could find a log or two and make it piled where he could go under them to hide. :D

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
dmarcus said:
You can use leaf litter so she can hide underneath it.

I know this sounds silly , but can u buy leaf litter ? Unfortunately its not a good time of year for leaves in chicago , there all wet and gross and cold

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think so :(. But maybe you could talk someone that does have it into shipping you some, you pay shipping of course. It would be nice if we could get some of that nicer 75-80 weather, can't wait.

OMG, you can buy it. I just typed in leaf litter for sale on my search bar and it came up. Love this Internet, you can buy anything now days.:D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
The leaf litter in my yard sucks so we went for a walk around the neighborhood and found some nice leaves.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
you said it is a flabt? you could use grass or maybe palm litter if it is available.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Saloli said:
you said it is a flabt? you could use grass or maybe palm litter if it is available.

yes florida box turtle. Thats a good idea because its more native to her habitat ! Who lives in florida that can mail me palm litter ??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
pryncesssc said:
Saloli said:

yes florida box turtle. Thats a good idea because its more native to her habitat ! Who lives in florida that can mail me palm litter ??

Let's go to Florida together. You can get your palm litter and I will go get my Aldabra I want from ALDABRAMAN. We have to go quick, before the real owner of the Aldabra shows up to get her. Hahaha.
In a few years I will have palm litter. Do you know there are a couple palm trees you can grow outside here? I have two windmill palms. This is their first winter. They are not looking to bad. Also if you visit getheseme (not sure of spelling)gardens, they are locate where Clark st. And Ashland meet, they sell palm trees, maybe if you ask them, they would let you collect any of the dead palms/litter they may get. Just a thought :D

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
wellington said:
Let's go to Florida together. You can get your palm litter and I will go get my Aldabra I want from ALDABRAMAN. We have to go quick, before the real owner of the Aldabra shows up to get her. Hahaha.
In a few years I will have palm litter. Do you know there are a couple palm trees you can grow outside here? I have two windmill palms. This is their first winter. They are not looking to bad. Also if you visit getheseme (not sure of spelling)gardens, they are locate where Clark st. And Ashland meet, they sell palm trees, maybe if you ask them, they would let you collect any of the dead palms/litter they may get. Just a thought :D

Alright ill ditch school (and my math test) today and well go to Florida . Then I can have a big yard, win the lottery and rescue as maybe turtles and torts as I can :):) thanks for the palm suggestion also !

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I took this when i got home from school I peaked into her cage and it was like wheres waldo lol.. shes good at camouflage :)

burried.jpg

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Ok, I have some sphagnum moss mixed into the cypress mulch, but ill add a little bit more on top for some hiding .. thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.