• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Enclosure too hot?

wuddybunny

Location (City and/or State)
Manila
Hi! I’m Mari, from the Philippines. My 3-month old redfoot will be arriving in a few days and I’ve been fixing his enclosure (currently at 4ft x 2ft). The ambient temperature in the enclosure, without any lights or heaters, ranges from 89-92F (this is our normal room temp here in the country). When I turn on the basking lamp (100w basking bulb from Exo Terra), the temp in the warm end rises to 98F! My concerns/questions. My concerns:

(1) Will my tortoise still need a basking lamp considering the given temps? If yes.. then will 98F be safe for him?
(2) Well.. the enclosure doesn’t have a cooler end because of the heat here. Is that ok?

Your thoughts will be very much appreciated. Looking forward to learning from everyone!:)

ZEROPILOT

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
With those temps. You won't need a basking light.
You are correct that REDFOOT can and do overheat.
Always provide a tray of water that they can crawl into to bathe. And always provide shade.

TammyJ

Jamaica
We look forward to seeing your tortoise and setup!