Enclosure Update and Weed Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Hi Guys

Just wanted to share some pics of how my outdoor enclosure is looking now after about 2.5 months.

Can anyone tell me what this plant is or if its okay for Torts. Its been springing up all over the place and i have seen the torts nibbling on it. Not sure if I should pull it.

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0112-1.jpg

IMAG0113-1.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

Here is what it looks like at tort level.
IMAG0115.jpg

Hope you enjoyed

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Yea I thought Purslane too but not sure. If it is I believe it's ok to munch on. Love the enclosure by the way, great job.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Nice enclosure Luke. Had to chuckle when I say the cactus :) looks like it got hit with a shotgun blast. Well done!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Could be Purslane or Rose Moss, both are from Portulaca family... Just have different blooms. I have Purslane in my enclosure and my torts go crazy over them. The blooms open in the morning and close in the afternoon. Very colorful and pretty....

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
Yeah looks like it is Purslane as you guys said.

This website claims it is too high in oxalic acid to be fed regularly but I guess that wont be a problem if I offer them other foods.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/nutrient.htm

onarock said:
Nice enclosure Luke. Had to chuckle when I say the cactus :) looks like it got hit with a shotgun blast. Well done!

Yeah tha poor opuntia is pretty old. Mom trims it regularly to keep the size down. They can get prety big if you let them. If you look you can see a pad growing rite out of the middle of another pad because the shot gun blast doesnt allow for proper circulation for new pads to grow on top :D

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
The first is definitely purslane.

Agreed there is no doubt. Rose Moss leaves are longer and it grows much tighter, this is defiantly Purslane. I am jealous of the enclosure, nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.