Enclosure with a hill

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Box turtles can dig. They can climb. They can smell the fresh air and freedom. They are persistent and expert at identifying weak spots in the best planned fortifications. They will pace perimeters seeking ceaselessly to breach defenses. They will probe, penetrate and exploit any opening in a barricade to find a way home to the state they were meant to be: wild. They will never be satisfied or fully accept captivity. One opportunity and off they go.

In their own way, they are smarter than we are and why they are so irresistible. We find them so fascinating and love them so much, we take them prisoner.

Makes you think.

Turtle1173

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I know this was a long time coming but here is the final video time lapse of the complete building of my box turtle enclosure.

Relic

Location (City and/or State)
Here
I think the block work - and especially the ability to easily modify it if needed - is a great feature. I built with used railroad ties some 30+ years ago, and they have rotted ever so slowly over the years, creating weak spots, voids, etc. Fire ants seem to like building nests in the voids, as well. They are heavy to re-arrange, a pain to dispose of once they have exceeded their usefulness, and all-in-all, not the best route (at least in my opinion) for creating a perimeter. If I ever get a chance for a do-over, the concrete blocks are high on my list...