ENCLOSURE

Teesh

Hi change my tortoises name to cappuccino cause that is the color Of his shell and it's a different name.
Anyway, here is my basking spot (92• degrees) and it's really hot and I wondered if I kept it this way The enclosure would start to burn!!!!! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410202143.239777.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410202157.174961.jpg
I'm reAlly scared because it smelled ever do lightly smoke , but very very little. I was scared because if it was on that way all day , would the plastic burn???

Thank you for your advice, i bought a solar raptor uvb bulb, and and an exo terra basking bulb.
Thank you also because I got a plastic 3x1.5 tub

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The plastic WILL burn. It could catch on fire and take his home and yours with it. Invest in a more suitable set-up for your tortoise. You need some sort of substrate in the bottom. Even the light housing gets very hot and should not be in close proximity to any thing made of plastic. Make sure that you stick to a 50 watt bulb until you get a different home figured out.

Teesh

The plastic WILL burn. It could catch on fire and take his home and yours with it. Invest in a more suitable set-up for your tortoise. You need some sort of substrate in the bottom. Even the light housing gets very hot and should not be in close proximity to any thing made of plastic. Make sure that you stick to a 50 watt bulb until you get a different home figured out.
Ok. Umm I Have substrates i haven't put them in yet
But what should I use then??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Plastic will burn, but not because your using it for an enclosure. That's what a lot of us uses with our hatchlings. The light needs to not be hooked on the plastic. You need to hang it so it points straight down. Those claps the light is hung by has been known to fail and that will cause a fire and burn your tort or house.

Teesh

Plastic will burn, but not because your using it for an enclosure. That's what a lot of us uses with our hatchlings. The light needs to not be hooked on the plastic. You need to hang it so it points straight down. Those claps the light is hung by has been known to fail and that will cause a fire and burn your tort or house.
K thatnka