Enclosure

LittleLove

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Can I use the wood from pallets to build my enclosure
An outdoor pen or indoors enclosure? Both are doable. But for indoors you may need some treatment for wood to protect it from high humidity + line the bottom and walls with a pond liner/shower curtain or similar material.
Thank You! I don't know yet. I guess it will be for indoors because the one I have now isn't that Great. I want Fred to like his enclosure. And right now I don't have all the things I need to make him happy so I thought I would start now and little by little get everything I need for him. You see my mother in law gave him to me. I had never had a Tortoise and I am trying to get things little by little, but everything is so damn expensive. ( I know there are some members there that say if you can't afford one don't get one or if you don't get exactly what he needs then you should give him away.) I can understand that to a point. But just because I can't get the most expensive things right now and I have to improvise. I don't think that he is going without.. I don't know. Alls I know is I love him so much he is part of the family,, I don't know what I would do if anything happened to him. Anyways sorry I am writing your book

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I use the wood from pallets to build my enclosure
What species and size tortoise are we talking about?

Wood is not a good material for an indoor closed chamber enclosure because it will rot quickly with the necessary moisture. There is no good way to treat it to prevent this. Nothing store bought will work. I've tried. Pond Shield can work, but that is nearly as expensive as just buying the right type of enclosure.

If Fred is an adult Testudo species, then you can use pallet wood to make a large indoor open topped enclosure and simply prime and paint it to try to protect it from the dampness.

LittleLove

Arizona

Wood is not a good material for an indoor closed chamber enclosure because it will rot quickly with the necessary moisture. There is no good way to treat it to prevent this. Nothing store bought will work. I've tried. Pond Shield can work, but that is nearly as expensive as just buying the right type of enclosure.

If Fred is an adult Testudo species, then you can use pallet wood to make a large indoor open topped enclosure and simply prime and paint it to try to protect it from the dampness

If Fred is an adult Testudo species, then you can use pallet wood to make a large indoor open topped enclosure and simply prime and paint it to try to protect it from the dampness.
Ca

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank You! I don't know yet. I guess it will be for indoors because the one I have now isn't that Great. I want Fred to like his enclosure. And right now I don't have all the things I need to make him happy so I thought I would start now and little by little get everything I need for him. You see my mother in law gave him to me. I had never had a Tortoise and I am trying to get things little by little, but everything is so damn expensive. ( I know there are some members there that say if you can't afford one don't get one or if you don't get exactly what he needs then you should give him away.) I can understand that to a point. But just because I can't get the most expensive things right now and I have to improvise. I don't think that he is going without.. I don't know. Alls I know is I love him so much he is part of the family,, I don't know what I would do if anything happened to him. Anyways sorry I am writing your book
I understand your situation and reaction on prices for reptile equipment. However, the one and only thing which can't be made cheap is the UVB lamp (which lasts for several years and you may not need it if you can get tortoise outside for sunbathing).

Current enclosure is made out of coroplast or polycarbonate? If you can get more of that cheap - this will be better than wood pallets for indoors. Or a portable greenhouse on a pond liner/tarp.

If you have a list of things to buy/make we can look at it and help to find cheaper alternatives.

LittleLove

Arizona
I understand your situation and reaction on prices for reptile equipment. However, the one and only thing which can't be made cheap is the UVB lamp (which lasts for several years and you may not need it if you can get tortoise outside for sunbathing).

Current enclosure is made out of coroplast or polycarbonate? If you can get more of that cheap - this will be better than wood pallets for indoors. Or a portable greenhouse on a pond liner/tarp.

If you have a list of things to buy/make we can look at it and help to find cheaper alternatives

LittleLove

Arizona
Thank you again for all the great information. At the beginning I had that coconut coir and then I thought it will be better if I just get a big bag of organic soil. Well I ordered 5 bricks of that coconut coir, it will be here tomorrow. I can't wait to change it and get rid of the soil. I didn't like it too much and I don't think Fred liked it either here is a picture of his enclosure. IMG_20240825_090021493.jpg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you again for all the great information. At the beginning I had that coconut coir and then I thought it will be better if I just get a big bag of organic soil. Well I ordered 5 bricks of that coconut coir, it will be here tomorrow. I can't wait to change it and get rid of the soil. I didn't like it too much and I don't think Fred liked it either here is a picture of his enclosure. View attachment 378460

Your next step is probably a revamp of the indoors enclosure. Tom is right, wood wouldn't last for long but you can make a frame out of pallets and line it from the inside with heavy duty plastic. Depending on how you build the enclosure (tall box or "garden bed") you may need a top cover - greenhouse top or something alike. You can also build a frame out of PVC pipes - should be relatively cheap, would not rot and optionaly you can add styrofoam insulation sheets from the outside.

Out of heating/lightning equipement you need an incandescent flood lamp for basking (around 3-7 bucks) and ceramic heat emitter with a thermostat (20-30 bucks, probably). Lamp domes for basking lamp and ceramic heat emitter are 15-20USD each - wide chicken brooder lamps are fine. UVB lamp can be added later (around 80 bucks) when it will be too cold to bring Fred outside. Ambient LED is highly desirable but can wait a little (you can find suitable in 20-30 bucks range, I think).

LittleLove

Arizona
Your next step is probably a revamp of the indoors enclosure. Tom is right, wood wouldn't last for long but you can make a frame out of pallets and line it from the inside with heavy duty plastic. Depending on how you build the enclosure (tall box or "garden bed") you may need a top cover - greenhouse top or something alike. You can also build a frame out of PVC pipes - should be relatively cheap, would not rot and optionaly you can add styrofoam insulation sheets from the outside.

Out of heating/lightning equipement you need an incandescent flood lamp for basking (around 3-7 bucks) and ceramic heat emitter with a thermostat (20-30 bucks, probably). Lamp domes for basking lamp and ceramic heat emitter are 15-20USD each - wide chicken brooder lamps are fine. UVB lamp can be added later (around 80 bucks) when it will be too cold to bring Fred outside. Ambient LED is highly desirable but can wait a little (you can find suitable in 20-30 bucks range, I think).
Thank you
Alex and the Redfoot.
For now is Fred's enclosure ok

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you
Alex and the Redfoot.
For now is Fred's enclosure ok
Right now it looks small - "starting size" is something around 4x2 feet and sulcatas grow fast so even that size will need an upgrade soon.

The second issue is that hatchlings need closed top enclosures for maintaining heat and humidity.

You can look into something like these hydroponic grow tents:

Or raised garden beds, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-60053-Raised-Garden-Enclosure/dp/B0055FSKPW?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

LittleLove

Arizona
Right now it looks small - "starting size" is something around 4x2 feet and sulcatas grow fast so even that size will need an upgrade soon.

The second issue is that hatchlings need closed top enclosures for maintaining heat and humidity.

You can look into something like these hydroponic grow tents:

Or raised garden beds, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-60053-Raised-Garden-Enclosure/dp/B0055FSKPW?tag

LittleLove

Arizona
Wow, you are good. Great ideas. I just don't get the hydroponic tent. How would I use that with Freds enclosure