Enjoying my little guy!!

RoyalT_KingKappa

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hey, you all just doing a quick check in it’s been about four days now and I can honestly say that I have fallen in love with my little guy for some reason it’s hard for me to take my eyes off of him just that concern and make sure that you know he’s well and healthy and you know not looking to find him turned over anything like that. So far the little guy seems happy and isn’t enclosure. I’ve added many things inside not too much so that he still has the room to roam around and explore but he definitely seems to be OK with it. He seems to be accepting his new enclosure as I’m noticing over the days he’s moving around more. He’s finding his little spots that he likes to hang out in the seems the temperature is just right he’s not like doing a lot of hiding. He’s eating very well and kind of getting adjusted to the schedule that we have them here with at home Overall the experience is going great I’m really enjoying it can’t wait to see my little guy started to grow a little bigger and started to do a little bit more things start to recognize me more as a person and eat out eat from my hand and things like that, so how is everyone else experience going? Feel free to comment down below , let’s just keep the conversation going.RenderedImage.jpeg

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Hey, you all just doing a quick check in it’s been about four days now and I can honestly say that I have fallen in love with my little guy for some reason it’s hard for me to take my eyes off of him just that concern and make sure that you know he’s well and healthy and you know not looking to find him turned over anything like that. So far the little guy seems happy and isn’t enclosure. I’ve added many things inside not too much so that he still has the room to roam around and explore but he definitely seems to be OK with it. He seems to be accepting his new enclosure as I’m noticing over the days he’s moving around more. He’s finding his little spots that he likes to hang out in the seems the temperature is just right he’s not like doing a lot of hiding. He’s eating very well and kind of getting adjusted to the schedule that we have them here with at home Overall the experience is going great I’m really enjoying it can’t wait to see my little guy started to grow a little bigger and started to do a little bit more things start to recognize me more as a person and eat out eat from my hand and things like that, so how is everyone else experience going? Feel free to comment down below , let’s just keep the conversation going.View attachment 367416
Your little tort looks great. A few words of advice, get rid of the moss if they eat it, they can get impacted. The water and food dish is best to use terracotta saucers and sink them into the substrate so the tortoise can walk right in. Also the disc style temperature/humidity gauges are not very accurate and should be at top of shell height. I can't see your lighting and uvb bulbs. They should be a 5500K to 6500K flood light for simulated daylight. And the uvb should be a tube style T5 HO 10 or 12% from zoomed or Arcadia. This is my enclosure 20231016_205910.jpg20231016_205916.jpg20231016_205925.jpgimg_11_1707798230769.jpgScreenshot_20240214_135105_Gallery.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I agree no moss.

CanOfCorn

Southern California
What a cute little guy. I miss when mine was that size. They grow up so fast. The breeder gave him to me in a small plastic tupperware for the car ride home. I can’t believe he’s already 6” long with anger issues now.
Also I agree with the enclosure advise. Moss is dangerous. I use zoo med forest floor cypress mulch with the coconut fibers that come in a brick. The biggest mistake I made early on was not keeping the humidity high enough so my tortoise has a bit of pyramiding. Now I keep him in a closed top enclosure with 85-90% humidity. I also use the long tube lights for UV and ceramic heaters for heat. I learned everything on this forum so good luck to you and your tortoise!

Georgia
Your little tort looks great. A few words of advice, get rid of the moss if they eat it, they can get impacted. The water and food dish is best to use terracotta saucers and sink them into the substrate so the tortoise can walk right in. Also the disc style temperature/humidity gauges are not very accurate and should be at top of shell height. I can't see your lighting and uvb bulbs. They should be a 5500K to 6500K flood light for simulated daylight. And the uvb should be a tube style T5 HO 10 or 12% from zoomed or Arcadia. This is my enclosure View attachment 367417View attachment 367418View attachment 367419View attachment 367420View attachment 367421
I love your enclosure! Does your tortoise try to eat the artificial plants? Mine attacked the fake plant as soon as I put it in. I removed it.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I love your enclosure! Does your tortoise try to eat the artificial plants? Mine attacked the fake plant as soon as I put it in. I removed it.
Thank you. No, he may have tried to eat them when we first got him but gave up when he couldn't bite through them. He knows they are not food now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
+1 on no moss.
It holds in humidity great. And it can be used for some types of herp enclosures. But it's just too dangerous to use with tortoises. It's a known danger.