My Little Guy is not well

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
IMG_0293.jpg

This is my 10yo PomeranianX “Iggy” he was a rescue, I got him when he was 6 months old from a family who’s children were ill treating him. Considering he had that experience with kids, he absolutely adores my kids, he’s very protective of them and has been since they were born.

About 2 weeks ago we noticed that his head is tilting to the side when he walks. So he’s been to the vets and he has some kind of vascular problem almost like vertigo I think, I’m told it’s common in older dogs. Whilst there we were also told he has a bad heart murmur and he’s been started on drugs for that too. He’s now on steroids for his head tilt but it’s not getting any better... has anyone had any experience with it? Or a heart murmur? Can they improve? Or is it the beginning of the end?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
View attachment 239009

This is my 10yo PomeranianX “Iggy” he was a rescue, I got him when he was 6 months old from a family who’s children were ill treating him. Considering he had that experience with kids, he absolutely adores my kids, he’s very protective of them and has been since they were born.

About 2 weeks ago we noticed that his head is tilting to the side when he walks. So he’s been to the vets and he has some kind of vascular problem almost like vertigo I think, I’m told it’s common in older dogs. Whilst there we were also told he has a bad heart murmur and he’s been started on drugs for that too. He’s now on steroids for his head tilt but it’s not getting any better... has anyone had any experience with it? Or a heart murmur? Can they improve? Or is it the beginning of the end?
Your dog is absolutely adorable. Very sorry to hear he is not doing well. I hope everything works out and he gets better.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
did they try treating the dog for an ear infection ? is the only symptom of a heart problem the murmur ?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
did they try treating the dog for an ear infection ? is the only symptom of a heart problem the murmur ?

He’s been given antibiotics just to be sure there is no inner ear infection but the ears looked clear and he’s not scratching at them. And yes, only symptom of heart problem is the murmur. No coughing, maybe gets a little tired when out walking for more than say 30 mins. I thought it was just age related. No other symptoms.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i would say when you start seeing symptoms , that is more like the "beginning of the end" ..... until then i wouldn't worry about it , give him his meds , myself i wouldn't exercise him , there is no upside to it , only a possible downside ..... heart issues in older dogs don't get better , but often it takes years to get noticeably worse ........ while i doubt he'll be setting any longevity records , until he's actually sick from it , i think it's not a problem ........

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Mark1. My dog has a murmur from birth. Actually a lot of dogs do. They can get worse with age, but if that's all there is, no coughing hacking, it's just a murmur.
I would exercise him though just short walks nothing to cause straining.
The head tilt I thought vertigo or a mild stroke or possibly a tumor.
I would treat as directed and see how it goes. If the tilt doesn't improve then think about if you want/can spend the money for further testing.
Hoping the meds take care of the problem. I Love Poms. Yours is a cutie. Good luck and keep us posted.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
the medication they gave your dog is probably something to lower his blood pressure , to relieve the load on his heart ...make it last longer .......... anything that would counter that , myself i would see as detrimental ....air conditioning during hot spells is helpful in large dogs i'd imagine in little ones also ... maybe they did ,but i doubt they gave him a diuretic like lasix ? not without seeing other symptoms , pot belly , coughing , fluid in his chest or lungs ............. puppy murmurs are more often than not , not a congenital disease , and usually get no worse or go away ...... i had a pup diagnosed with a grade 4-5 , depending on the vet , he lived almost 3 yrs on an ACE inhibitor and diuretics , I did supplement him with coQ10 , fish oil and hawthorne ......

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
The tablets they have given him are called “Cardisure” 1.25mg they seem very popular on google. She did say most people see a dramatic improvement within 2 weeks but to be honest I’m not seeing any real symptoms . She did say that by starting them early before symptoms develop is even better. The problem is he cannot have any kind of invasive testing done as a couple of years back he had a Carpal Hyperextension (common in his breed I’m told) and he was having X-rays under sedation and he almost died they had to resuscitate him because of the reaction he had to the anaesthetic. So now, I will not risk any kind of sedation. She did mention testing but when she was his notes she agreed it wasn’t worth he risk.
His teeth are in a bad state but he can’t have them cleaned properly as they need to be sedated to have it done. He’s going to have antibiotics a few times per year to stop any infections.
I’m not going to walk him anymore, instead I’m just going to let him off in the field and I will just wait and let him do his thing for 20 mins rather than actually make him walk on the circuit we usually do.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
If his teeth are bad the heart murmur can be from that. He's a cutie.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
What a cute little guy. I agree with the others about the murmur. Just like humans, dogs can live with a murmur for many years. I've also seen old timers live long with the head tilt issue. You may want to research CBD oil ... ah, I just noticed you are in the UK. Is it legal there? There is a web site, cannapet.com, that sells products for dogs. Many from my dog groups use it for neuro issues, as well as many other issues. Every one of the users have noted improvements with it.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
What a cute little guy. I agree with the others about the murmur. Just like humans, dogs can live with a murmur for many years. I've also seen old timers live long with the head tilt issue. You may want to research CBD oil ... ah, I just noticed you are in the UK. Is it legal there? There is a web site, cannapet.com, that sells products for dogs. Many from my dog groups use it for neuro issues, as well as many other issues. Every one of the users have noted improvements with it.

That’s really interesting. It’s not legal here. I know there are parents here fighting to get it for their children’s neuro issues. Hopefully one day.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
View attachment 239009

Ten years is a good stretch for a dog....sometimes we think vet visits and drugs and such are the way to keep a dog around...and sometimes it works, but at was expense? I mean the drugs have health side effects and can cause other damage to the body and mind and the vet visits are not usually a welcome event for the dog, alot of stress....if the dog is doing alright, for an aging member of the household, then why the need to pretend he will live forever? I mean, everything living has its life journey....why do we always believe depriving one from the end of their journey is our duty....I would just let this little guy do what he has been doing--if he is happy going for walks, if he is happy jumping around...let him, mental well being is super important to what we all will put up with in trade, dogs too. An animal will, without doubt, let you know when they are at the end of their journey and would like to go....until, balls out man, have a grand ole time. If you have noticed no uptick improvements with the drugs, I would really look into what the potential side effects are and decide if you will subject the dog to those or not....just me.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
why do we always believe depriving one from the end of their journey is our duty.

10 is a good stretch for a mastiff , a little dog has a lot of life left .... I've never had a dog where going to the vet was stressful , I've had 10 lifetimes worth of dogs ........ I've had dogs whose "end of their lives journey " would have been years , some more than a decade sooner without veterinary care , surgery and drugs ...... I believe in 1900 2 out of 10 dogs lived past 7yrs , today 5 out of 10 live past 7yrs ......just like us , human end of their lives journey was like 45yrs at the turn of the century , it's nearly 80 now ...... drugs like rimadyl can have some life threatening side effects , it has saved and gave a better quality of life to dogs at a rate I would guess at no less than 10,000 to 1 ........ I've watched dogs die from heart failure , it takes a long time , take my word for it , if the drugs help it's the way to go , it's some suffering , sad beyond belief , side effects can't possibly be worse , death is better ...... delaying the suffering part with drugs , and making it more comfortable when it becomes inevitable is without a doubt the way to go ........ when the drugs don't work no more , take it upon yourself to end the dogs lifes journey , something i'm sure they appreciate being deprived of , anything less is inhumane ......

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
I agree with you Mark, 100 %. I wouldnt consider NOT treating any of my senior dogs as long as their quality of life is still apparent. I had an 80lb boy that had to go on pain management at 10yrs old for arthritus. The possible side affect would have damaged his kidneys but it didnt and he was given 4 more yrs of hiking the hills, playing in the pool and traveling with me. And I still was able to let him go on a good day. Another .. 70lbs, on thyroid meds for 3 yrs, bald, deaf, had an enlarged liver and a slow cancer ... didnt slow down or stop smiling until the very day her body said it was enough and I let her go at age 13. Thats a good stretch for bigger dogs.
No ...Katie ... it isnt the beginning of the end. Its only the beginning of his senior years and you alone know whats best for him. And I checked that website for you. They ship to the UK. If the head tilt doesnt improve and clear with the steroids I would consider a more natural supplement and see if that helps.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hey guys thanks for all of your replies.
I will always do what’s best for him. I will take a closer look at the website.
I lost my last dog (a boxer) at 9 years old, to cancer, it was terribly sad. And just last year I had my 20 year old cat put to sleep as he quality of life was suffering and she had developed a metabolic problem, it’s terribly sad losing a pet. I always swear I won’t get another because of the heartache, but I always do.
Iggy has 2 more days if steroids left and I haven’t seen a major change with the head tilt but we are going back to the vets next week so I will let you know what she says. He’s still himself, yapping constantly at anything that moves! And attaching the post as it comes through the door. I’ve cut the walks out for now and I’ll see how he goes over the next few weeks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
10 is a good stretch for a mastiff , a little dog has a lot of life left .... I've never had a dog where going to the vet was stressful , I've had 10 lifetimes worth of dogs ........ I've had dogs whose "end of their lives journey " would have been years , some more than a decade sooner without veterinary care , surgery and drugs ...... I believe in 1900 2 out of 10 dogs lived past 7yrs , today 5 out of 10 live past 7yrs ......just like us , human end of their lives journey was like 45yrs at the turn of the century , it's nearly 80 now ...... drugs like rimadyl can have some life threatening side effects , it has saved and gave a better quality of life to dogs at a rate I would guess at no less than 10,000 to 1 ........ I've watched dogs die from heart failure , it takes a long time , take my word for it , if the drugs help it's the way to go , it's some suffering , sad beyond belief , side effects can't possibly be worse , death is better ...... delaying the suffering part with drugs , and making it more comfortable when it becomes inevitable is without a doubt the way to go ........ when the drugs don't work no more , take it upon yourself to end the dogs lifes journey , something i'm sure they appreciate being deprived of , anything less is inhumane ......

I disagree with most of what you said, but that is alright. You, as I, have your own life opinion...and Rimadyl is a horrific crutch...if has nothing but horrid side effects...so if peaceful death vs years of random pain attacks that causes a dog to curl into a ball between "relief"...I would certainly offer peaceful death to a trusty friend....but you, do not have to agree...I am alright with that...

You see, my point is further substantiated entirely by your view....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I lost my last dog (a boxer) at 9 years old, to cancer, it was terribly sad. And just last year I had my 20 year old cat put to sleep as he quality of life was suffering and she had developed a metabolic problem, it’s terribly sad losing a pet. I always swear I won’t get another because of the heartache, but I always do.
Iggy has 2 more days if steroids left and I haven’t seen a major change with the head tilt but we are going back to the vets next week so I will let you know what she says. He’s still himself, yapping constantly at anything that moves! And attaching the post as it comes through the door. I’ve cut the walks out for now and I’ll see how he goes over the next few weeks.

In addition, I am not a young chick....I too have had a dog or two in my life....and only 2 had extensive vet treatment and those two were the ones that had the most issues and lived the shortest, un natural life....again, my life experience will never be changed by you sharing yours...then again, that is the reason for a forum like this right....for many to share their learned knowledge and life experience for others to also share.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I disagree with most of what you said, but that is alright. You, as I, have your own life opinion...and Rimadyl is a horrific crutch...if has nothing but horrid side effects...so if peaceful death vs years of random pain attacks that causes a dog to curl into a ball between "relief"...I would certainly offer peaceful death to a trusty friend....but you, do not have to agree...I am alright with that...

You see, my point is further substantiated entirely by your view....

my thought is I've used rimadyl hundreds of times more than you , personally know folks who have prescribed it tens of thousands of times more than you have seen it ..... I have a dog right now 7yrs , would be dead at 5 without it , she could not have been rehabbed without it .... my veterinary experiences and yours i'm sure are quite different , as is our dog experience ..........

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I agree with you Mark, 100 %. I wouldnt consider NOT treating any of my senior dogs as long as their quality of life is still apparent. I had an 80lb boy that had to go on pain management at 10yrs old for arthritus. The possible side affect would have damaged his kidneys but it didnt and he was given 4 more yrs of hiking the hills, playing in the pool and traveling with me. And I still was able to let him go on a good day. Another .. 70lbs, on thyroid meds for 3 yrs, bald, deaf, had an enlarged liver and a slow cancer ... didnt slow down or stop smiling until the very day her body said it was enough and I let her go at age 13. Thats a good stretch for bigger dogs.
No ...Katie ... it isnt the beginning of the end. Its only the beginning of his senior years and you alone know whats best for him. And I checked that website for you. They ship to the UK. If the head tilt doesnt improve and clear with the steroids I would consider a more natural supplement and see if that helps.

nothing better than an old dog

100_1795.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio

good luck with your little guy , he looks like a good friend .......