Enough calcium for diet

yay14

Location (City and/or State)
stockholm
Hi everyone i have a 1 year old hermann tortoise i have been giving him calcium once a week and nutrobal once a week which has calcium, vitamins and some minerals. I now this is a good amount for when giving a lot of weeds and flowers but i have had to give him a diet with more grocery store stuff than weeds for the last couple of months becuse of climate so his diet has been maybe 70% grocery store stuff like endiv kale Rodicchio arugula and some others every so often and 30% weeds. I recently found out my tort has not been getting enough minerals so i am going to start giving him Miner-all which will deffinatly make sure hes getting good supplementation though.

But my question is that with my former supplementation of calcium once a week and nutrobal once a week has that been enough with the diet hes been getting now during the colder months or has he had a lack of calcium the recent months? Of cource this suplemenattion has had a lack of minerals as said above but i mean besides that.

He has acces to cuttlebone but never gives it any attention.

Last edited:

yay14

stockholm
And will my current suplementation of calcium once a week nutrobal once a a week and miner all 2 times a week be good. I am gonna give miner all 3-4 times a week the first couple of weeks becuse he really needs the minerals but then go down to two times a week with miner-all and ofc 1 time a week with calcium and one time a week with nutrobal as i have been doing the entire time as said.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
It sounds like your current plan is good.

As was mention in some of your other threads, there are no guarantees with any of this stuff. In all likelihood, your tortoise will be fine. Even though the tortoise's care wasn't optimal in the past, the information you have now can give it the best life possible in the future.

It's time to implement all of the changes that were suggested for enclosure, food/supplements and weigh the tortoise weekly (get a new scale), and watch for progress over the next 1-2 months. Don't expect to be able to detect results on anything less than a weekly basis. Be patient.

yay14

stockholm
It sounds like your current plan is good.

As was mention in some of your other threads, there are no guarantees with any of this stuff. In all likelihood, your tortoise will be fine. Even though the tortoise's care wasn't optimal in the past, the information you have now can give it the best life possible in the future.

It's time to implement all of the changes that were suggested for enclosure, food/supplements and weigh the tortoise weekly (get a new scale), and watch for progress over the next 1-2 months. Don't expect to be able to detect results on anything less than a weekly basis. Be patient.
Ok thats good to hear but do you think that he was getting enough supplement for his diet before and if not do you think it affected him?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I think your stressing out over his past diet unnecessarily, if things are correct now, then any deficiency in the past wont matter.