Escaped Russian male!

aggiebrat20

Location (City and/or State)
Godley, TX
Good evening, I've read several of these forums about escaped Russians and I'm hoping and praying I am one of the lucky ones to find their baby, but I just want to hear people's thoughts. My male got out of his enclosure due to a freak incident. We had a hard rain and the next day he escaped, it was on and off sunny that day of the escape, our security cameras did not capture which way he went so it's anyone's guess at this time. The next two days have been rainy and slightly colder, my question is do we think he would have moved at all the last two days due to weather or is he probably hunkered down somewhere? We are located just south of Fort Worth, TX. I have posted in my neighborhood Facebook group and tomorrow I'm going to hand out flyers because we are offering a reward. I'm thinking he probably hasn't moved since it hasn't been sunny/warm but I've been out looking every day, multiple times a days, even in the rain, just to make sure he wasn't trying to move to higher ground. Each house in the neighborhood sits on 1/2 acre so it's a lot of ground to cover. I'm just devastated and I really want to find him. Any helpful tips are appreciated. He's about 11 years old. Thank you.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Good evening, I've read several of these forums about escaped Russians and I'm hoping and praying I am one of the lucky ones to find their baby, but I just want to hear people's thoughts. My male got out of his enclosure due to a freak incident. We had a hard rain and the next day he escaped, it was on and off sunny that day of the escape, our security cameras did not capture which way he went so it's anyone's guess at this time. The next two days have been rainy and slightly colder, my question is do we think he would have moved at all the last two days due to weather or is he probably hunkered down somewhere? We are located just south of Fort Worth, TX. I have posted in my neighborhood Facebook group and tomorrow I'm going to hand out flyers because we are offering a reward. I'm thinking he probably hasn't moved since it hasn't been sunny/warm but I've been out looking every day, multiple times a days, even in the rain, just to make sure he wasn't trying to move to higher ground. Each house in the neighborhood sits on 1/2 acre so it's a lot of ground to cover. I'm just devastated and I really want to find him. Any helpful tips are appreciated. He's about 11 years old. Thank you.
As for me I think he's close. In fact I'd concentrate efforts within your yard. Why? The rainy and slightly colder. He'd move slower. He's thinking he made a mistake. 🙂 He's hungry by now. Make bait stations. If he's used to you talking, talk loudly outside. Hire children to search. They're cheap. Just brainstorming. Just might work.

aggiebrat20

Godley, TX
As for me I think he's close. In fact I'd concentrate efforts within your yard. Why? The rainy and slightly colder. He'd move slower. He's thinking he made a mistake. 🙂 He's hungry by now. Make bait stations. If he's used to you talking, talk loudly outside. Hire children to search. They're cheap. Just brainstorming. Just might work.
Thank you! I was telling my husband I don't think he's very far, I'm thinking our yard or maybe one over, but I've searched their yards too, and no sign of him, but I'm not giving up! I appreciate your brainstorming!! Thank you!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You can check other posts for ideas as well, here is non-extensive list of the things to try:
1. Look for him in the morning at sunset: tortoises tend to get of hide and move to sunny areas to warm-up after night.
2. Leave the food every day and put some red-colored treat there - like a strawberry or hibiscus flower, maybe a carrot. Tortioises know their territory and remember places where there is a lots of food.
3. Check twice all his favourite hides and under bushes, piles of leaves and such. Look for loose ground - he might have burrowed himself.
4. They can travel long distances - he could be found in the neighbours yards 1-2 kilometers away.
5. Keep searching. Sometimes they back after several months. Sometimes show up after winter brumation.

Sincerely wish you to find your "escape artist" soon!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great advice given already
Be sure to contact local vets, rescues and pet stores.
Rain and cold will keep him hunkered down more than if it were warm and sunny.
After a cold night, search when the sun comes out in the a m.
Don't give up looking. Hopefully yours will be found sooner than later, but even later is better than not at all, so keep looking.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can we see pictures of where he was being kept at the time of his escape? Close up and distance to show entire area.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
look along obstructions to his movement , like walls or fence lines he cannot get under easily , follow those obstructions to any corners where they run into another obstruction , look under bushes/shrubs and overgrowth along those obstructions. they'll dig into the roots of bushes/shrubs, tees and at the base of clumps of grass and weeds....