Escaping tortoise.

My new cherry head won't stop trying to escape he makes this mad grunting sound circled the enclusre clawing and trying to climb the walls. I dont understand why he's proper!y feed watered way more space than the store we bought him from and he's on dirt not glass.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
Can you post a pic of your setup so we can help? Sometimes they pace of there are not enough hiding spots. What are your temps as well? :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
....And some type of substrate that will hold humidity.
Not dirt or sand.
Is the enclosure glass? Sometimes if they can see "outside" they will spend all of their time trying to get there.
If this is the case, place a sight barrier of some sort as high as he can see. Maybe simply some paper.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
How big/old is your tort? The grunting sound is concerning. They don't typically make sounds like that when they're young. Usually older mating males.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've only had him a short time. Tortoises are territorial. He's trying to get out of 'jail' and go back to his original territory. He'll settle down in a couple weeks.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I use plant pots and bury them half way under the substrate, it works well and is affordable.

I should add, I also build up the substrate so that the hide is also a hill, it adds to the complexity of the habitat for the tortoise. I often find mine hanging out on top.

Wow thanks so much for the responses this is an older male we don't know his age but theirnsexually mature and almost 18 inches. He can s a cherry headed and I know have some hiding spots for him. He is in a wooden fenced habitat with mainly dirt woodchips and a spot of upside down waterproof side of a carpet. Thanks for the help I am less worried now.

My habitat had many hills a rock mound with a dirt path to the top we will be buying some major plants but we have only had them for 3-4 days

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Wow thanks so much for the responses this is an older male we don't know his age but theirnsexually mature and almost 18 inches. He can s a cherry headed and I know have some hiding spots for him. He is in a wooden fenced habitat with mainly dirt woodchips and a spot of upside down waterproof side of a carpet. Thanks for the help I am less worried now.
Please post a photo of your 18" tort. I'm very curious and would love to see this tort.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Both of my redfoots make a lot more noise than I expected. They grunt and click and cluck and pop, even the little one (~16oz).

My large male likes to find the boundaries of whatever enclosure he is in and then walk along them. Being able to see out will increase the issue. Also if you need temporary hides a sturdy cardboard box will work in a pinch. I can't leave them lying around when my RF is out or he will be in them, even if they are too small.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I am the box tortoise...1457307497842.jpg

Reactions: Rue

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
An 18" Redfoot would have been "mature" years ago. It is 100% fully grown.