Everyones favorite game. Guess the gender!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
kyryah said:
Yes Matt, I am.

The tail is so long, it's touching the rear leg. That's not a female characteristic. I'm not saying she isn't female, but that looks like a male to me. How big is she, and how are you certain it's a female? Smiley face so you don't think I'm being jugmental, haha :) :)

-Matt

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, she is.

KristinasPictures270.jpg

She is the one at the top of this picture. The smallest one is my male.

KristinasPictures3778.jpg

Yes, I am sure she is a she, lol :) :) And she is about 12" long.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
kyryah said:
Yes, she is.

KristinasPictures270.jpg

She is the one at the top of this picture. The smallest one is my male.

KristinasPictures3778.jpg

Yes, I am sure she is a she, lol :) :) And she is about 12" long.

Aww, she's a cutie! I have a female that looks a lot like her. Her tail just looked really long in that shot, plus her anal scutes didn't have that classic half circle shape to them. I'm usually really good at sexing red-foots, but the camera angles can play tricks on you sometimes.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Adult females don't have tiny tails.:p Way back in the bad old days of buying animals sight unseen off of a list, I bought what the dealer said was a 13 inch male Redfoot. I was thrilled to be getting him as I had a 13 inch female at the time. Well the Redfoot came in a nice wooden box and I picked him up at the airport (he came as cargo back than :)). So I open the box and he's a bit pyramided, but hey it's a male. I flipped him over and I couldn't believe it. They sent me a female. :rolleyes: She had a tail, just no where near a male's tail but not a stub. I complained but it was their only Redfoot and it was a big female so I kept her. She went on to lay quite a few eggs for me.

Back to your Redfoot :D I'm with Kristina, she still looks like a female to me.

Danny

RedFootTanaka

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Adult females don't have tiny tails.:p Way back in the bad old days of buying animals sight unseen off of a list, I bought what the dealer said was a 13 inch male Redfoot. I was thrilled to be getting him as I had a 13 inch female at the time. Well the Redfoot came in a nice wooden box and I picked him up at the airport (he came as cargo back than :)). So I open the box and he's a bit pyramided, but hey it's a male. I flipped him over and I couldn't believe it. They sent me a female. :rolleyes: She had a tail, just no where near a male's tail but not a stub. I complained but it was their only Redfoot and it was a big female so I kept her. She went on to lay quite a few eggs for me.

Danny

See now I'm sure he/she is just too young to sex. Dan this is the same RF you guessed male on a wile back! If it's a female :) :) I was hoping for a female. But if it's a male :) :) I'll just get used to calling him Mr prince Tanaka

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Here is a picture of one of my young females.All of my females' plastrons flare out in the rear like this.

100_4257.jpg

While the males' plastrons just form a smooth arch.

100_4252.jpg

I've also observed,in my males at least,that the gap between the anal scutes and the plastron is much wider.Wide enough that they swing the tail freely through it.

100_4251.jpg

Just what I've observed in my own bunch.I'm not saying these are the standard,as all individuals have their own characteristics.

RedFootTanaka

5 Year Member
RedFootTanaka said:
egyptiandan said:

Danny

See now I'm sure he/she is just too young to sex. Dan this is the same RF you guessed male on a wile back! If it's a female :) :) I was hoping for a female. But if it's a male :) :) I'll just get used to calling him Mr prince Tanaka

oh and heres some better pics for good measure

Attachments

• TANAKA 039rs.JPG
    TANAKA 039rs.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 16
  • TANAKA 033rs.JPG
    TANAKA 033rs.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 16

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I have been known to guess wrong :p every once in a while :D
Everything is pointing more towards female now. :) The new pictures are excellent.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.