Guess My Gender...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antigua West Indies
Ok, I have gone back and forth with this to the point now I guess Jaba is too young but still I'll throw it out there...
I had thought male at first just because I kind of wanted a male after I thought my last tortoise was a female (new owner tells me that she's a he now.. )
Then I thought Jaba was a female because of some minor research I did (very minor)
Jaba is too young for the eye trait theory, and looking through the pictures I didn't really see any like Jaba's plastron..
This morning I'm thinking male again..
It doesnt' matter of course but I thought I'd put pictures incase anyone wants to try... Oh & I'd love what % your guess is too... like 50/50 etc.. :D
New pictures available upon request :)
IMG_7895-vi.jpg

IMG_7896-vi.jpg

shane1111

5 Year Member
one of my 3 month old baby red foots has the yellow rings in his eyes so I don't think it's a age thing it's just hard to see when there that small.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
yup .... I agree with Dan, although still to small/young to be 100%
JD~:)

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
No guess as to gender, but those plastron patterns are beautiful/ or handsome depending how the sexing works out.

All the more reason for me to want a caribbean RF of my own someday.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I say female as well. The tail is a bit long, and I'm looking at how it kind of thins out toward the tip. I've seen this in males before. The cloaca is located very close to the body indicating female. Are the eyes completely dark? Haha! I will call it "eye ring theory." Ha!

-Matt

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
PeanutbuttER said:
No guess as to gender, but those plastron patterns are beautiful/ or handsome depending how the sexing works out.

Peanut I was showing Matt41gb some pictures of the red-foot yard they had a hatchling just walking about I wish someone was home so I could have let them know :(. I will have to look where Grenada is we can have a meet up (when you get there).. haha.
I was actually a bit concerned about Jaba's plastron it seemed so different from all those pictured on the forum.... but it really is pretty :)

Matt41gb, I am obsessed about the eye theory if it wasn't for that I wouldnt' have started on the quest of knowing what Jaba was!!
I am so hoping to pass by the RF Yard one time and the people be outside so I can be invited in... then I'll bring out my camera and get pictures I really need to bring a notepad too.. LOL.....

HarleyK

5 Year Member
From the pic posted it doesnt look like the tort has the pronounced sclera, indicating it's a female for sure :]

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A breeder I have been in contact with has told me that the sclera thing does not work in his collection- females with rings, males without them with no pattern he can see.

I would not put a lot of stock in it at this time until we can get more data points from more sources.

By the way, the photo'ed tort is a female right now- which is what we would expect for that size.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Yeah, that whole eye thing is just an observation that I had. There is no proof that this is true for either gender. We need a lot of data to even know what percentage even have that trait. As of now we shouldn't bank on sexing a red-foot, or any sub-species from looking at the eyes.

-Matt

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
matt41gb said:
Yeah, that whole eye thing is just an observation that I had. There is no proof that this is true for either gender. We need a lot of data to even know what percentage even have that trait. As of now we shouldn't bank on sexing a red-foot, or any sub-species from looking at the eyes.

-Matt

I still believe!!!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Shelli said:
PeanutbuttER said:

Peanut I was showing Matt41gb some pictures of the red-foot yard they had a hatchling just walking about I wish someone was home so I could have let them know :(. I will have to look where Grenada is we can have a meet up (when you get there).. haha.
I was actually a bit concerned about Jaba's plastron it seemed so different from all those pictured on the forum.... but it really is pretty :)

Well, Grenada is looking less and less like an option for me so I probably won't be going there any more sadly. :( but if I do end up going I'll let you know.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Shelli said:
matt41gb said:

-Matt

I still believe!!!

:) :) :) :)

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.