Evo's day three :)

TortNZ

Location (City and/or State)
Christchurch
Hi All

It's been Evo's third day with me and I think she is doing well. We have been to the vet yesterday. An english lady who knows a lot about tortoises as they are very common in the UK.

She was very happy with Evo's condition just recommended to drop of her poo for a parricides test and keep that up every 6 months. Evo had her first poo. What does it suppose to look like? Hers was dark green a little moist (pix attached).

She has been eating well when I got home at 5.30pm. Mesclun salad and cabbage covered in Calcium & vit. D3 powder. She finished about 80% of it. How much do I need to feed her? She seems to like eating on the slate. She is normally ready to go to bed around 8pm when she starts digging herself under the substrate and stays there till waken in the morning (is this normal?). I will give her a little strawberry as a treat before bedtime.

She has been yawning (pix attached) that I have notice a few times a day. The vet said to keep an eye on it so it does not become regular, as this could be a respiratory problem.

She seems to like lifting her right back leg up, now sure what that indicates.

Should I soak her daily or every other day?

OK All, any help with my questions will be much appreciated.

A J

a.jpeg b.jpeg c.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi All

It's been Evo's third day with me and I think she is doing well. We have been to the vet yesterday. An english lady who knows a lot about tortoises as they are very common in the UK.

She was very happy with Evo's condition just recommended to drop of her poo for a parricides test and keep that up every 6 months. Evo had her first poo. What does it suppose to look like? Hers was dark green a little moist (pix attached).

That's a normal-looking poo

She has been eating well when I got home at 5.30pm. Mesclun salad and cabbage covered in Calcium & vit. D3 powder. She finished about 80% of it. How much do I need to feed her? She seems to like eating on the slate. She is normally ready to go to bed around 8pm when she starts digging herself under the substrate and stays there till waken in the morning (is this normal?). I will give her a little strawberry as a treat before bedtime.

I wouldn't feed too much cabbage, and only put a pinch of calcium powder about three times a week. I like to put as much food as they'll eat, allowing a little to be left over at the end of the day. Yes, it's perfectly normal for them to "dig in" for the night.

She has been yawning (pix attached) that I have notice a few times a day. The vet said to keep an eye on it so it does not become regular, as this could be a respiratory problem.

The vet is right on!

She seems to like lifting her right back leg up, now sure what that indicates.

I haven't got a clue what this is. Is there anything stuck on that back leg or foot? A lot of times when they're sunning themselves they will lift up their limbs to get more "sun" coverage?????

Should I soak her daily or every other day?

I like to soak babies daily for the first year.

OK All, any help with my questions will be much appreciated.

A J

View attachment 284770 View attachment 284771 View attachment 284772

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Your baby stays up til 8?! Wow. Currently my adult Russians go to bed at 2 or 3pm. They stay up til 6 in the summer.
Evo is very cute!

TortNZ

Christchurch
Hi
Yes. Maybe it’s because she sleeps through the day and has to get up early with me at 5am?
Have adapted Yvonne’s morning routine.
Soak Evo for 20 min and give her breakfast.
After that she goes back to bed
The day Evo arrives he was roaming in enclosure for hours but now only a bit and has snoozes in between.