Exact Temp

LJWharton88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi can anyone give me an exact temp that I should keep my Trotty at? She has a warm end under the heat lamp and a cooler part at the thee end with a hide out and a water dish that she goes in but only sometimes. I've asked in a shop and mentioned it at the vets and I've had 2 different answers, obviously these people don't keep them as pets so maybe that's why I'm my getting the same answer, so any help would be great. Just want to make sure I'm doing it all right! [TURTLE][TURTLE]

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
How old/what size is your sulcata?

For a young hatchling or small juvenile housed indoors you want these 4 temps:
Basking, 100F
Warm end, 90sF
Cool end, 80sF
Night time 80F

Humidity 80+% with and additional humid hide in the 90s%.

You should be trying to mimic the hot, humid and rainy African environment they hatch into.

If your sulcata is larger than 6"or 8" the advice will be different.

LJWharton88

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks that's a great help. She is just 1 and fits in my palm at the minute. I think it's about right at the minute, she's really well in herself and wanders all round her viv and she loves being held and walks to you for food and stuff so must be doing it right. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Along with Heathers advice, the threads below in my post are Toms and they will help you out with the temps and humidity.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
There are no "Exact Temps"! Exact temp are VERY difficult to attain even in the best of setting... what you want are a range of temps that your tort can move around in. Several "Micro-environments" if you will.
You should have a cool end (as low as 70-75*) and a hot side (Under the basking lamp usually between 100-105*) Your tort will move from one area to another depending how he or she is feeling and what they desire. Maintaining an ambient temp of 80-85*, 24/7 is ideal.

Trying to maintain "exact temps" anywhere is difficult and will cause YOU undue stress!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Exact Temp

Zamric said:

Trying to maintain "exact temps" anywhere is difficult and will cause YOU undue stress!

This is very well said.
You have your temp goals but don't freak out over a small variation.