Excess Water

P

pguinpro

Im curious as to how you guys manage water. I must use a liter or more per day and unfortunately not all of it evaporates. Please share...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Depends upon the species. I have a bunch of leopard babies in a Vision cage right now and their substrate is not just damp, it's actually WET. Also, the vision cage has a drain hole at one end and the cage is slightly tilted so the water drains away in that direction.

If I have too much water in a plastic tub with no drainage, I tilt the tub then scoop out the water using a small cup or glass.

But the occasional "too much water" won't hurt. It eventually evaporates.

Now, if you're talking grown tortoises, that's a whole other story. I keep my grown tortoises outside, so I'm not the one to ask that question of.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your enclosure is obviously open to the elements. You will only keep the humidity in by having a roof - a closed chamber.

The substrate needs to be properly damp too. Take all the decor out, tip water in from a jug and mix it with your hands until all of it is damp from top to bottom and right into the corners. Misting slows the rate at which the substrate dries but will be unsuccessful as twhe sole means of raising humidity

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Misting is ineffective if the top is open. Its pointless.

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask here. The substrate should be damp, but misting usually does not accomplish this. So how do I manage water? I dump enough water into the substrate to keep it damp given my current rate of evaporation in each enclosure.

P

pguinpro

Misting is ineffective if the top is open. Its pointless.

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask here. The substrate should be damp, but misting usually does not accomplish this. So how do I manage water? I dump enough water into the substrate to keep it damp given my current rate of evaporation in each enclosure.
I'm using a diaphragm pump that forces water through a steel nozzle. It's on 3-4times daily for about 90 seconds. My issue is that it's a tub so there's no where for the water to go and I have a 100w bulb that doesn't do a ton of evaporating. Im curious how others who are also using tubs or have enclosures without drains manage the excess water.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Apologies, I don't know what it is you're asking about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm using a diaphragm pump that forces water through a steel nozzle. It's on 3-4times daily for about 90 seconds. My issue is that it's a tub so there's no where for the water to go and I have a 100w bulb that doesn't do a ton of evaporating. Im curious how others who are also using tubs or have enclosures without drains manage the excess water.
Sounds like the solution is to put in less water. I think everyone has to do this management dance. Too much water in, and it gets too wet. Not enough water in, and it gets too dry. This changes seasonally for most people too.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I have the same thing sometimes. The top dries out but the bottom it wet, not damp but wet. You just have to get your hands in there And mix it all up.