EXO Terra BAsking lamp replacement

edricivan

Hi all,

I've replaced my Exo Terra 100 W basking lamp (non UV) twice in the past 6 months. I was wondering if I can use a 50W Halogen Lamp in its place? I'll be measuring the temp using an IR gun. My only concern here is if it might have the same effect as a coiled lamp (blindness/burns).

Cheers

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I use regular 65 watt flood bulbs from the hardware store.

Your 50 watt halogen should be fine, but you will need to have it closer to maintain the same temps.

I recommend against "spot" bulbs. I feel they concentrate too much desiccating heat in too small of an area.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ok Tom thanks! I'm guessing the flood bulbs can't be LED right?
LED doesn't give out enough heat.

You need to take care with Halogen and look at the actual Wattage.

Some bulbs have the equivalent standard bulb wattage on them, so the halogen equivalent of a 60 Watt standard bulb is only about 45 Watts and would give out much less heat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your UVB source is from a different light, then I see no reason to invest in an expensive basking bulb. Just use a regular incandescent bulb - the type that are being phased out - and a 60 watt might be good enough.

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The reason incandescent is being phase out is that they are pretty inefficient generating light/ wattage. A lot of the wattage generates heat instead of light. That's why, as a result, they are great for basking. An LED or other type is more efficient meaning the same wattage will produce more light and less heat. So another type bulb at the same wattage will produce less heat than a good old incandescent. And the flood type directs more heat and light downward

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The reason incandescent is being phase out is that they are pretty inefficient generating light/ wattage. A lot of the wattage generates heat instead of light. That's why, as a result, they are great for basking. An LED or other type is more efficient meaning the same wattage will produce more light and less heat. So another type bulb at the same wattage will produce less heat than a good old incandescent. And the flood type directs more heat and light downward

The ratio that I have read is that incandescent bulbs produce 80% heat and 20% light. Great for heating a reptile enclosure, but not so good for lighting a house efficiently.

I'm curious what the ratio is for cfl and LED bulbs.

Last edited:

edricivan

If your UVB source is from a different light, then I see no reason to invest in an expensive basking bulb. Just use a regular incandescent bulb - the type that are being phased out - and a 60 watt might be good enough.
Hi Yvonne,

I actually only have a basking bulb, since Nicco gets taken out daily to graze and to bask in the sun. Should I just get a UVB bulb for his basking lamp?