DarwinTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
USA
How are there temps for a 4.5” RT?

Basking: 102
Warm end: 87
Cool end: 78
Night: 73

I’m mainly concerned that the basking area is too warm? I have an Exo Terra 100w Daytime Heat Lamp for the basking spot and some flat rocks beneath it. I tried the same bulb in 60w, and also a 100w halogen bulb from the hardware store but they both got a top temp of mid 90’s and that didn’t seem warm enough? I’m measuring all the temps with a laser temp gun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its a little warm, but not too bad. Just be sure the bulb you are using is not a "spot" bulb. Those concentrate too much shell desiccating heat into too small of an area.

Mid 90s is probably fine. Your temp gun is testing the temp at floor level. Put a brick under the heat lamp and let it cook for a couple of hours. Then temp the top of the brick. This will be closer to tortoise shell height and give you a better estimation of the temp on the tortoises back.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
How large of an enclosure are you talking about? Your hot basking area seems fine as long as you have provided a large area where your tort can easily move into and out of the hot areas.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
How are there temps for a 4.5” RT?

Basking: 102
Warm end: 87
Cool end: 78
Night: 73

I’m mainly concerned that the basking area is too warm? I have an Exo Terra 100w Daytime Heat Lamp for the basking spot and some flat rocks beneath it. I tried the same bulb in 60w, and also a 100w halogen bulb from the hardware store but they both got a top temp of mid 90’s and that didn’t seem warm enough? I’m measuring all the temps with a laser temp gun.

Hmm, I have a 57W regular lightbulb for the basking area and the high is 102 F
Its a little warm, but not too bad. Just be sure the bulb you are using is not a "spot" bulb. Those concentrate too much shell desiccating heat into too small of an area.

Mid 90s is probably fine. Your temp gun is testing the temp at floor level. Put a brick under the heat lamp and let it cook for a couple of hours. Then temp the top of the brick. This will be closer to tortoise shell height and give you a better estimation of the temp on the tortoises back.

Can you clarify what a spot bulb is with a photo of one? I've seen it mentioned before and googled it myself, and it yields results that seem like a regular lightbulb shape.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmm, I have a 57W regular lightbulb for the basking area and the high is 102 F

Can you clarify what a spot bulb is with a photo of one? I've seen it mentioned before and googled it myself, and it yields results that seem like a regular lightbulb shape.
Spot bulbs focus the beam into a tighter circle of around 20 degrees. Floods focus the beam into about 30-40 degrees. Regular round bulbs don't focus the beam at all and cast light everywhere.