Expanding indoor pen for red foots

Status
Not open for further replies.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I'm trying to plan out an expanded pin for my red foots. I'm going to combine two 40 gallon totes. I was going to take the whole side wall off, but I think it'll be easier to just cut a portion of it off. Any thoughts on that?

I was also thinking if I cut just the middle potion off, I could create a soil area for them to play in, plus the mulch that I regularly use in the original portion of the enclosure, and maybe a pool area.

I'm not sure about the pool. I need pros and cons on adding this. What I was thinking was adding a ramp to and from the water. The ramp would also keep the water in that area.

By not cutting the entire side, a lip should remain from the tubs, which should hopefully keep some separation between mulch and dirt, but I'm not worried if it doesn't stay neat. I know it won't.

(By the way, I got the plastic welder, so that'll be what I use to seal gaps and whatnot.)

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 51

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Any potential cons with the pool?

It would be a shallow area. I would wipe down and clean prevent fungus growth.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
goReptiles said:
I'm trying to plan out an expanded pin for my red foots. I'm going to combine two 40 gallon totes. I was going to take the whole side wall off, but I think it'll be easier to just cut a portion of it off. Any thoughts on that?

I was also thinking if I cut just the middle potion off, I could create a soil area for them to play in, plus the mulch that I regularly use in the original portion of the enclosure, and maybe a pool area.

I'm not sure about the pool. I need pros and cons on adding this. What I was thinking was adding a ramp to and from the water. The ramp would also keep the water in that area.

By not cutting the entire side, a lip should remain from the tubs, which should hopefully keep some separation between mulch and dirt, but I'm not worried if it doesn't stay neat. I know it won't.

(By the way, I got the plastic welder, so that'll be what I use to seal gaps and whatnot.)

When I combined two 50gal totes for my Russians, I just cut a smaller doorway (since the walls are not straight up and down, you may have to duct tape some styrofoam or strip insulation to the edges, between the outer walls, so they fit together w/o a gap. I have also seen connected totes where they use a huge piece of round PVC as a short tunnel. Interested to know how your plastic gun works too). They loved it, and it may help you maintain more humidity on the water side if that is what you choose.
What about a plastic paint tray for water, depending on their size? Otherwise you could nest a plastic container for water on that side/wedge it in with a narrow piece of wood to hold back the dirt, and use a ramp or flat rocks for steps.
Looks good!

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
So... I had to cut out the pool because I bought different tubs than I had intended. I just didn't have enough plastic or plastic rods to complete the pool.

It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it isn't too bad. The plastic welder was pretty neat. It's a little messy, and it's REALLY hot.

I used the plastic that I cut out to bridge the tubs together and to fill holes.
undone.jpg

cage.jpg

Someone immediately pooped in it.
oop.jpg

The arrangement is still under construction, but it is now in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.