Exporting my greek.

Usman

Hey, I'm going to shift to home country in a couple of days, I need to know if anyone has any idea if my testudo graeca is protected under CITES and if I need a CITES permit to export him and ship him through animal cargo. I'll be taking him to a vet for a health certificate and possibly a general checkup soon. Im currently in Abudhabi (UAE) and will be moving to Islamabad (PK) in a few days. What should be my next move after getting hold of the Health Certificate in transporting my tortoise? How will he be housed during the cargo transit? Do I have to buy him a special container of some sorts? Also, how much on average would a certificate of origin and if required a CITES permit cost?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi @Usman

Sorry for the delayed reply. This forum has been down for a few hours.

Which country are you in and where are you going to?

I am afraid that it's likely to be bad news.

@Kristoff had to leave her beloved Greeks in Turkey as it was impossible to get the paperwork to take them to her new home in Denmark.

Do you have conclusive evidence that they are captive bred rather than wild caught? If not then you will be looking for a new home for your beloved Greek :(

Usman

I am in the United Arab Emirates as of now, moving to Pakistan in a few days.

Unfortunately I do not have any relevant evidence . What sort of paperwork would I have to face?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am not familiar with the import rules for Pakistan, but I suggest you start with searching their government websites for information on what they require. In any case, getting this arranged in a few months will be a challenge. Doing it in a few days isn't going to happen.

My suspicion is that you will not be able to get the paperwork simply because your tortoise is undoubtedly wild caught. My Joe was wild caught, before CITES was even thought of, and we would never be able to get the paperwork for him.

The other problem you have is transport. Many airlines will not carry tortoises.

Usman

I am not familiar with the import rules for Pakistan, but I suggest you start with searching their government websites for information on what they require. In any case, getting this arranged in a few months will be a challenge. Doing it in a few days isn't going to happen.

My suspicion is that you will not be able to get the paperwork simply because your tortoise is undoubtedly wild caught. My Joe was wild caught, before CITES was even thought of, and we would never be able to get the paperwork for him.

The other problem you have is transport. Many airlines will not carry tortoises.

Thanks for the reply, i've got in touch with the cargo department of Emirates Airlines. They require the CITES permit, health certificate of the little guy and the import permit from Pakistan I believe. So as of now I believe the big issue would be of the import permit and the CITES permit? Can I not obtain the permit without valid proof? Is there no work around?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks for the reply, i've got in touch with the cargo department of Emirates Airlines. They require the CITES permit, health certificate of the little guy and the import permit from Pakistan I believe. So as of now I believe the big issue would be of the import permit and the CITES permit? Can I not obtain the permit without valid proof? Is there no work around?
If your tortoise is wild caught it cannot have a CITES certificate. That's what CITES is about, preventing animals being taken from the wild and protecting the wild population.

There is no way round this. You won't get a permit. This is international law and the airline is doing exactly the right thing as it will be faced with a heavy fine if it transports animals illegally

I am really sorry, but you will need to find a new home for your Greek. And I am well aware that this is a challenge in the UAE. We have members on her from Jordan and Morocco and I am sure the attitude to pets with you is similar to where they are.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Governments have made it very difficult, impossible in some cases, to legally move animals around the world.

This will take a lot of time effort and stubborn persistence on your part if you want to make it happen.

Good luck. I hope you succeed.

Usman

Damn, Thats really sad to hear. I've had this little guy for at least 10 years now. My dad just lost his job all of a sudden and I believe I dont have enough days to take him with me. Its really been a long journey with him all of these years and to let him go this way is very sad. I'll take your word and your advice and start looking for a new place for him.

Thanks for the help and thankyou for clearing it all out. Sad to see him go like this, I used to plan on keeping him forever because he would probably outlive me someday. I'll be getting one in Pakistan now. Will miss this little bugger

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It is very, very sad, but there is no legal way around it. I have done research on this and it is impossible.
So I will be living in Morocco for the rest of my life. Which isn't too bad, but not what i'd planned.
I'm very sorry about your situation, heartbreaking.