Extra scutes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortioselove101

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,
So I wanted to know about extra scutes, will it cause MBD? Or is it just a deformity.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
It's all cosmetic:) a matter a fact here is my leo that has several extra and he is by far my fav:)

Attachments

• 480315_10151120126289742_805204743_n.jpg
    480315_10151120126289742_805204743_n.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 92

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
My two little ones have extra scutes. It makes them unique and is purely cosmetic.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
To me, they make the animal more valuable and certainly more special and unique. It does not indicate poor health now or in the future. There is some thought that a very very small percentage may be hereditary. Usually it has to do more with how the egg was incubated.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
the small leo is great, that's make him unique and so nice

tortioselove101

5 Year Member
Ok wow you guys just gave me a lot more knowledge thankyou!!! Because I have gotten a baby turtle with like one extra scute for cheaper, but then when I got him he was normal. And wow that's Leo's shell is one of the prettiest things I've seen!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
tortioselove101 said:
Ok wow you guys just gave me a lot more knowledge thankyou!!! Because I have gotten a baby turtle with like one extra scute for cheaper, but then when I got him he was normal. And wow that's Leo's shell is one of the prettiest things I've seen!

Thank you:) he is my favorite out of all my torts:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Extra scutes are generally caused by a problem during a specific stage of embyonic development when the shell is forming. 'Mistakes' at this stage are generally not a big deal since most of the other organs are well-developed. It is almost always purely cosmetic.

There is a possibility, although a very, very small one, that the same problems that created the shell deformity might have been happening during other developmental stages and there would be internal problems- but most of the time, that sort of error results in an egg that does not hatch.

I find it really, really funny that some breeders sell these 'unique' animals for more than the normal price since it IS, by any definition, usually a birth defect.

Status
Not open for further replies.