Extremely watery stool

Carolina Vivariums

Location (City and/or State)
Greenville, SC
Hey everyone I have a 25lb sulcata that I’ve had for about 8 months and recently when I soak him every so often he excretes a dark brown water stool a good bit of it but no firmness to it at all he still poops regularly but also has this any ideas? His main diet is grass and hay he loves outside and has plenty of area to graze

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hey everyone I have a 25lb sulcata that I’ve had for about 8 months and recently when I soak him every so often he excretes a dark brown water stool a good bit of it but no firmness to it at all he still poops regularly but also has this any ideas? His main diet is grass and hay he loves outside and has plenty of area to graze
It is totally normal for a tortoise to release retained water when it has an opportunity to dirnk and replace the water. That is a survival mechanism that allows them to reduce the concentrations of uric acid and urea that builds up in the bladder as they normally will hold on to water for their system in case new water is not available. When they have to hold the water for extended time, it serves as a source of hydration, but uric acid and urea levels build. This precipitates into a semi-solid that can be elimitated seperately without having to loose water supply. So when water is plentiful, they will frequently release their water, keeping their supply of water as fresh as possible. This water goes through the same channel as their other waste, so is often tinged with whatever color that their poop is.

As long as the tortoise is still pooping nicely formed, solid poop - everything is good!