Eye infection?

Megang97

Location (City and/or State)
Portsmouth, uk
My little one looks like he has an eye infection, I’ve been giving him daily soaks and have eye drops for him but they’re not seeming to work. One eye seems fine but the other appears puffy and it takes him a while to open it.
He’s also been not as active as usual the past couple of days and been sleeping an awful lot.
His temps are 35 under his basking lamp, 33 in the hot area, 26 in the middle and 22 in the cold area.
His humidity is around 60%

E9A206F0-4166-4538-95DA-2CC7A26CBC17.jpeg

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What type of UVB lamp do you have? Post a photo if you can.

The compact bulbs that look like a low energy light bulb are notorious for causing eye problems in tortoises.

If you have one, turn it off and you should see an improvement pretty quickly. Use a fluorescent tube UVB bulb instead

Megang97

Portsmouth, uk
Thank you, Joe! I’m thinking as well it may be his substrate, I’m dampening it daily to cause more humidity for him - it’s similar to coco noir and quite fine and sand/soil looking (it’s not sand or soil don’t worry!) but he burrows and i think it may be getting it in his eyes. I have some beech bark on the way so that should be better for him!

Light wise I am using a Solar D3 UV 125W basking bulb which is used for heat and light - it’s very bright but I am also considering getting him another light source too. One of those long UV bulbs may do the trick if that’s what you recommend? ☺️

Would you say it looks or sounds like an infection? It looks completely fine after he’s soaked and his eye opens again but looks quite swollen when he first wakes up and before his soak. He’s not been himself either (this may be due to the cold weather in the UK), he’s not very active and sleeping an awful lot. He is eating but maybe not as much as normal.

Megang97

Portsmouth, uk
Thank you, Joe! I’m thinking as well it may be his substrate, I’m dampening it daily to cause more humidity for him - it’s similar to coco noir and quite fine and sand/soil looking (it’s not sand or soil don’t worry!) but he burrows and i think it may be getting it in his eyes. I have some beech bark on the way so that should be better for him!

Light wise I am using a Solar D3 UV 125W basking bulb which is used for heat and light - it’s very bright but I am also considering getting him another light source too. One of those long UV bulbs may do the trick if that’s what you recommend? ☺

Would you say it looks or sounds like an infection? It looks completely fine after he’s soaked and his eye opens again but looks quite swollen when he first wakes up and before his soak. He’s not been himself either (this may be due to the cold weather in the UK), he’s not very active and sleeping an awful lot. He is eating but maybe not as much as normal.

Following this I’ve got him some beech chips and using his old lighting which I had in his vivarium, including a long UV light. Hopefully this will help out my little man!