Eye Problem

Wewt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia, Canada
Hey All,

Doug's had a strange problem with his eye. I used to think it was irritation from being out doors and getting poked with grass, but I noticed it happening inside, too.

It's always his left eye. The sideways clear lid gets half-closed and cannot open fully. He rubs his face on his leg, so it's irritating him. It will sometimes tear up and be gross.

Anyone else had this problem? Any solutions? Or does he require some sort of eye lid surgery?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4564.JPG
    IMG_4564.JPG
    429.4 KB · Views: 30

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Can you post a picture of your uv bulb?
If it is a coiled one, they irritate tortoises eyes and can even blind them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G can tell you what you can use to help with the irritation. As stated above, if you are using any type of coil bulb, that's probably the problem.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
When Charlie was a baby, he had some kind of problem with his eyes. I think I got an antibiotic ointment or drop from the pet store. It cleared it right up. You could try cleaning it out with eye wash. Someone might have experience with that. I assume it would be safe for tortoises. Use it several times a day until the problem goes away.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Hey All,

Doug's had a strange problem with his eye. I used to think it was irritation from being out doors and getting poked with grass, but I noticed it happening inside, too.

It's always his left eye. The sideways clear lid gets half-closed and cannot open fully. He rubs his face on his leg, so it's irritating him. It will sometimes tear up and be gross.

Anyone else had this problem? Any solutions? Or does he require some sort of eye lid surgery?

Thanks!
My sulcatas left eye does it sometimes as well. It all depended on how much of wet mazuri he buried his face in. I think he was getting food in it. After a soak in the sink and running the faucet over his head it cleared right up in about a half hourImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453614199.851879.jpg