Sulcata eye ... Issue?

Masqurade

Location (City and/or State)
Mt Airy, Maryland
So I had gotten my sulcata from a store down in Florida back in December of 2013. Unfortunately I received some wrong information and since joining have completely changed his enclosure from a dry sandy home to a warm humid home!

However, since he has been a bit more active, thanks to the improved home, I have noticed his left eye doesn't look quite right. It is not swollen or red or irritated. He doesn't rub it or seem particularly bothered by it. But when he opens his eye lid it looks like his eye is stuck looking down and backwards.

Have any long term sully breeders/raisers seen this before?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The problem is most likely due to the sand. You should probably take him to a tortoise vet for an eye exam and possibly a flush. Don't let the vet talk you into any "vitamin" injections. For some reason they always want to do this. Its not necessary and it can be fatal.

The other factor may be your UV lighting. Are you using a coil type cfl UV bulb? Those can burn their eyes. If yes, just shut it off and in time it should heal.

Masqurade

Mt Airy, Maryland
Thank you Tom. No I don't use coil bulbs, never have in that area so that, luckily, can be ruled out. I will make an appointment hopefully this coming week or the next.