Eye problem

gazdkw82

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. It looks a great place :)

Can you maybe help with my tortoise who has an eye infection of some sorts.

It seems it's just the one side that looks swollen, once she opens her eye it seems to look fine, it's just when it's closed.

The picture I have added is about 3 weeks old. It has got better with bathing with sterilised water but it's still lingering and iv been waiting for account verification before I could post.

Any help would be greatful

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
How old is the tortoise? Where did you acquire the tort from? How are you housing the tortoise? What is your method for offering hydration? What is the diet the tort has had and what are you offering now? How is the tortoise acquiring the needed uva and uvb needs?

gazdkw82

5 Year Member
How old is the tortoise? -- around 4 years old--Where did you acquire the tort from? --KNM reptile centre in swandlicote-- How are you housing the tortoise? -- in a 3ft viv -- What is your method for offering hydration? -- we bath both tortoise 2/3 times a week-- What is the diet the tort has had and what are you offering now? -- mainly cabbage, green leaves (not iceberg) carrots, dandelions-- How is the tortoise acquiring the needed uva and uvb needs? -- uv strip placed at the top of the viv pointing down on the tortoise backs. Although we have just realised the bulb is a year old now--

Answers above :)

gazdkw82

5 Year Member
Also, what are the temps in the enclosure for basking and for cooling down? -- heat lamp placed at one end of the viv with a temp sensor keeping the temp set at 30. The usually just sit under that most the day and move around at night when we turn it off. We have an outside brick build house for them which is 4ft square. They go in that when it's nice and sunny--

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
for them which is 4ft square. They go in that when it's nice and sunny--

So there are more than one tortoise in the same enclosure? How many? What species of torts are in the same enclosure or share the same space? How long have you had them?

gazdkw82

5 Year Member
So there are more than one tortoise in the same enclosure? -- yep, there are 2 tortoise -- How many? -- 2 --What species of torts are in the same enclosure or share the same space? -- they are russian horsefield -- How long have you had them? -- we have had them over a year now --

Answers above again :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have you had them sexed to be certain of what each tortoise is? Male or female? Also, the size of enclosure is WAY to small for this species as well as WAY to small for two of this species to be required to live in, especially together. Have you had a sample of the poo checked for a heavy load of parasites? How are the personalities of the two torts compared to one another---is one outgoing and expressive ? is one calm and docile? How do they act with one another?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You say "answers above" but I don't see any answers. Maybe I'm just not seeing what you're seeing????

OH!!! I get it. You've made your answers inside the quoted post. I see them, sorry.

Flush the eye with sterile saline solution and dab on a bit of eye ointment.

Alex sulcata

I had that problem and a use
Bausch Lomb
Neo/Poly/Bacit.opht oint
Use it for 3 days no more problems