Eyes not opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I just bought a baby golden Greek at a reptile show today. At the show she was very active and was also very active on the ride home. But after I got home and fed her she fell asleep. When I picked her up the first time it took about five minutes for her to open her eyes. Now when I pick her up she moves around but won't open them. I think it may just be stress because she was in a car for 5 hours to get to the show then another hour to get to my house. I'm still worried though so does anyone have any ideas what it may be?
She's only about an inch and a half in size; wasn't sure if you needed to know or not.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the forum.....I am so surprised that they would sell such a tiny tiny tortoise????? Maybe that is totally normal and I am sure the rest of the gang will give their experience on this type of tortoise,,,,I hope all works out well :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
did she eat? What did you feed her? did you soak her? what are her temps in the enclosure? Are you using a Coil bulb? if so. STOP.
Did you get the Venders contact info? call them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi HipsterTorts:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Laura may have hit the nail on the head with her question on the lighting. If you aren't using the coil bulb, what kind are you using and how close to the floor of the habitat is it?

Baby's eyes will usually open right up when you put them into a bit of warm water.

But you need to contact the seller and get his advice. Its not right that a brand new purchase keeps his eyes closed.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Agree with Laura and Yvonne, and call the seller for sure. Good luck and welcome!

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Definately head the coil bulb advice. If she has eaten and you have soaked her she may just be so young that she sleeps a lot. Boulder had a really busy day the other day and he fell asleep in my hand while carrying him inside. So I know hatchlings do require a lot of sleep. Just be sure she is eating and hydrated. Also that she is warm enough. Keep us posted :)

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
My name's Sarah and I'm from Southern California.

She ate spring mix right before she closed her eyes. I did soak her but again she just kept her eyes closed and moved around. I use a Powersun UV light. The hot side stays at 95 and the cool side stays between 75 and 80. I did call the vendor and he wasn't sure either, he just offered to switch her for a different tort.

She had her eyes open this morning when I went to feed her, so maybe it was just stress?
Thanks so much for everyones help!!:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarah:

Is the light hanging straight down, or at an angle? Can the baby get out of the bright light? How far from the floor of the habitat is the bulb?

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
It's straight down and about a 14 inches from the floor. She can get out of it by going on the cool side; plus there are two hides if she wants to get completely out of the light.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Just a little update on Willow... She is extremely better then she was. I decided to change up a few things and see how it helped her out...so far it's helped for the better.

First I changed her substrate from Eco Earth to an organic Peat Moss that I picked up at lowes. When I soak her I've been adding a drop of Vita-Sol. I put some Terramycin ointment on her eyes. And lastly, she's been getting 45 minutes to an hour outside everyday. It's amazing how much more active she is, she is staying awake for hours at a time.

Jurupa-20110810-00300.jpg

Thanks again for everyones help! I greatly appreciate it!
Sarah

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
good news to hear

Status
Not open for further replies.