Fake grass

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all!

My main substrate right now is coco coir, but I’ve been thinking about popping some fake grass down in one little corner just for him to have a wonder around, for different texture and a little something to explore. Is this safe and could he potentially try and eat it? I’d love to hear your guys experiences

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
One of the problems with fake grass is it’s made of plastic….and your tortoise might go about nipping off & chewing & swallowing lots of little bits of toxic. Never a good idea. If you want to encourage change, use different good substrates. Some coco coir, some orchid bark, a nice large flat piece of slate. Id nix the fake grass idea.

Good luck - happy holidays.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Yeah, I wouldn't chance it. Tortoises taste-test everything. I only use strong silk plants or plastic plants meant for terrariums, and leaves are usually out of reach. Live cat grass/wheat grass can be a nice little enrichment though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all!

My main substrate right now is coco coir, but I’ve been thinking about popping some fake grass down in one little corner just for him to have a wonder around, for different texture and a little something to explore. Is this safe and could he potentially try and eat it? I’d love to hear your guys experiences
That is a no go. Eating it is likely and its not worth the risk.

Use some fine grade orchid bark if you want something different.