Fake plants??

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
Can I keep fake plants in my tortoise enclosure or will he try to eat it?
This is a highly debated topic. Some people will say not to use fake plants and some are the exact opposite. I used a lot of fake plants in my enclosure while I was waiting for some of my real plants to get more established. If you want to try using fake plants in your enclosure, make sure to get ones that don’t have little bits that can easily be bitten off. You don’t want the hard plastic kind with tiny little leaves on it. Before I bought any artificial plants, I’d give the leaves a good little tug to see if it felt secure. Try and go for silk plants with bigger, one piece leaves. Now I have mostly real plants in Dozer’s enclosure, but he just loves these fake ferns so much that I don’t have the heart to take them away. He’s always sitting in them, on them and under them. He has even dragged one over to the entrance of his favourite hide. I have never had an issue with him trying to eat the plants, but many on the forum have had a different experience. If you introduce atrificial plants, be present to monitor your tortoise to make sure he doesn’t try to eat them. If he does, then you should remove them.

B4112599-D75E-4263-AF0C-F8B6C5ED5AE9.jpeg

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
This is a highly debated topic. Some people will say not to use fake plants and some are the exact opposite. I used a lot of fake plants in my enclosure while I was waiting for some of my real plants to get more established. If you want to try using fake plants in your enclosure, make sure to get ones that don’t have little bits that can easily be bitten off. You don’t want the hard plastic kind with tiny little leaves on it. Before I bought any artificial plants, I’d give the leaves a good little tug to see if it felt secure. Try and go for silk plants with bigger, one piece leaves. Now I have mostly real plants in Dozer’s enclosure, but he just loves these fake ferns so much that I don’t have the heart to take them away. He’s always sitting in them, on them and under them. He has even dragged one over to the entrance of his favourite hide. I have never had an issue with him trying to eat the plants, but many on the forum have had a different experience. If you introduce atrificial plants, be present to monitor your tortoise to make sure he doesn’t try to eat them. If he does, then you should remove them.

View attachment 340038
Thank you! Your Russian tortoise is a beauty by the way.?